From: Bob H on
I have a database on a local server at work, and there are copies of the
front end on several local computers.
I now want to password protect the database and restrict data editing to
just 2 users.

How do I go about this.
Thanks
From: Bob H on
On 29/05/2010 23:56, Bob H wrote:
> I have a database on a local server at work, and there are copies of the
> front end on several local computers.
> I now want to password protect the database and restrict data editing to
> just 2 users.
>
> How do I go about this.
> Thanks

This database is an Access 2003 format, mdb file, and I notice that in
database tools in Access 2007, the option is Users and Permissions,
rather than encryption which is shown in a accees 2007 file.
From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
I would use the server to protect the data. Move the back-end on the server
to a folder which is accessible only to those you want.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
Yes, the MDB format can be secured with ULS (User-Level Security) the ACCDB
format cannot be.

Here's all the information you will need to secure your database:

Security FAQ
http://support.microsoft.com/support/access/content/secfaq.asp

Lynn Trapp's summarization:
http://www.ltcomputerdesigns.com/The10Steps.htm

KB articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q165009
http://download.microsoft.com/download/access97/faq1/1/win98/en-us/secfaq.exe

Joan Wild's articles:
http://www.jmwild.com/security02.htm
http://www.jmwild.com/security97.htm
http://www.jmwild.com/SecureNoLogin.htm
http://www.jmwild.com/Unsecure.htm

From: Bob H on
On 30/05/2010 16:30, Arvin Meyer [MVP] wrote:
> I would use the server to protect the data. Move the back-end on the server
> to a folder which is accessible only to those you want.

The backend is already on a NAS server, and I have read on various
sites/forums that the backend should be password protected, but I can't
find out how to do that.
Some people say that they have done it, but not how.

Thanks