Prev: TrayApp
Next: chkdsk failure
From: Wesley Vogel on
Here's more than you may want to know.

Perflib stands for Performance library. Perfdata stands for Performance
Data.

The %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat files are created by the
System Monitor. And/or
%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat.
or
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local
Settings\Temp\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat. When you shutdown normally, the file
should be deleted.

If you have an abormal shutdown, these files can become orphaned, and
accumulate on your computer.

Under some yet to be determined circumstances, these files can become
orphaned during normal operation.

The Windows Performance tool is composed of two parts: System Monitor and
Performance Logs and Alerts. With System Monitor, you can collect and view
real-time data about memory, disk, processor, network, and other activity in
graph, histogram, or report form.

To open Performance...
Start | Run | Type: perfmon.msc | OK

You can view this by opening the Task Manager. The Performance tab displays
a dynamic overview of your computer's performance, such as CPU and various
kinds of memory usage.

Also caused by:
Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
Event ID: 1000
Event Source: LoadPerf

Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat Files Accumulate Under %SystemRoot%\System32
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285798

What are the %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat files?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBG/TIP3300/rh3343.htm

-----

prflbmsg.dll = Perflib Event Messages

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM\CIMOM
Logging Directory
Value Type: REG_SZ
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM\Logs\

Repository Directory
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM\Repository

Working Directory
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib
---

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
Perflib

Description
The Perflib subkey stores configuration data for the Windows Performance
Library, which collects and organizes data for performance tools, such as
System Monitor.

In addition to entries, the Perflib subkey contains a Language-code subkey
for each spoken language you configure for Windows 2000. The Language-code
subkey stores performance counter names and their descriptions in the
specified language. The Language-code subkey is named for the language code
for that language. For example, the counters and descriptions for the
English language are stored in a subkey named 009, the language code for
English (United States).
---

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\
Application Sources
REG_MULTI_SZ
Perflib

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Eventlog\
Application\Perflib
EventMessageFile
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
%SystemRoot%\System32\prflbmsg.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Eventlog\
Application Sources
REG_MULTI_SZ
Perflib

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Eventlog\
Application\Perflib
EventMessageFile
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
%SystemRoot%\System32\prflbmsg.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\
Application Sources
REG_MULTI_SZ
Perflib

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:FBD89967-8428-411C-A8AC-2330F9F3DD2F(a)microsoft.com,
Milt <Milt(a)discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

From: Milt on
Thanks Wes. I did want to know what they were and where they come from.

Milt

From: PopS on
Many programs generate those; they're sort of scratch pads and
data that might be wanted, to try to speed things up.
You should be able to delete any tha aren't in use, which
would be the ones prior to the last time you restarted the
machine, so always start with the oldest ones.
They're supposed to be deleted automatically but often things
keep that from happening (crashes, power glitches, improper shut
downs, etc.).

If you can't delete old ones, then there is some sort of a
problem.

Going to Safe Mode might help delete some of them, but they'll
be regenerated on an as needed basis.

From: Wesley Vogel on
Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:8B4D1D9C-9047-4EE5-A56F-F068AF1BD00F(a)microsoft.com,

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: TrayApp
Next: chkdsk failure