Prev: TrayApp
Next: chkdsk failure
From: Milt on
I periodically have files, "Perflib_Perfdata_***.dat" show up in my Temp.
folder. (The *** are dynamic; they change with date and time.) They resist
being deleted. I have not tried deleting them in Safe Mode, though. I'm not
sure what they are and if there's any reason to leave them. Can anyone please
tell me what they are, and if it's OK to go into Safe Mode and try to delete
them?

Thanks,
Milt
From: MadDog on
They are created by the SNMP service. If you disable the service they won't
be created.

MD

From: NoNoBadDog! on
Not completely true;

The same files can be created by Windows WDM and WMI; can also be created
by ATI MultiMedia Center, can also be created by Nero Burning ROM...

In fact, any number of programs can create the files. They are deleted on
shutdown, and recreated on boot. They are harmless, and should be left
alone.

Bobby

From: Milt on
I don't have SNMP installed so that wasn't it. I did find out by the process
of elimination that if I disable the Norton Ghost 10 tray icon in
MSConfig/Startup the files are no longer generated. So while I still don't
know why they're there, I do know how to stop them. And I didn't want the
Ghost icon in my "Notification Area" anyhow. Thanks for your responses.

Milt

From: Glen on
They are generated by various programs. For example computer management will
genetrate them. Delete them as you want. Windows won't let you delete any
that are being used.
--
Please repost if you find the fault

Glen P
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Milt" <Milt(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I don't have SNMP installed so that wasn't it. I did find out by the
>process
> of elimination that if I disable the Norton Ghost 10 tray icon in
> MSConfig/Startup the files are no longer generated. So while I still don't
> know why they're there, I do know how to stop them. And I didn't want the
> Ghost icon in my "Notification Area" anyhow. Thanks for your responses.
>
> Milt
>
> "Milt" wrote:
>
>> I periodically have files, "Perflib_Perfdata_***.dat" show up in my Temp.
>> folder. (The *** are dynamic; they change with date and time.) They
>> resist
>> being deleted. I have not tried deleting them in Safe Mode, though. I'm
>> not
>> sure what they are and if there's any reason to leave them. Can anyone
>> please
>> tell me what they are, and if it's OK to go into Safe Mode and try to
>> delete
>> them?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Milt