From: Quandary on
As a general check on my system ( XP Pro Service Pack 2 running on Pentium 4
R3.6ghz, 1GBram.) I tried to run chkdsk /f /r. It asked to do it on next
start-up and I entered y. On restart the message appeared ..Windows has
checked the disk ...unable to directly access the volume... and then
proceeded to continue with the reboot. This message and action took only a
few seconds, hardly enough time to check anything.
What is happening and how can I get chkdsk to do a thorough check ?

From: "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" on
Hi,

You have Norton's installed? See:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/529c2f9adcf33a1088256e22005026f1/52d79c84c363973488256ea600542b5a

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

From: Wesley Vogel on
Cannot lock volume for direct access
Cannot open volume for direct access

A program called Hitman Pro can cause the problem.

A really old version of ZoneAlarm (a version from 2004) can cause the
problem.

BitDefender Internet Security 9 can cause the problem.

Spyware Doctor can also cause the problem.

The /x switch doesn't work if Spyware Doctor is installed. Spyware Doctor
needs to be uninstalled or you can do this...

Quoted from *PCTools*, *Spyware* *Doctor*...
1. Exit from Spyware Doctor (to exit from Spyware
Doctor please right click on the Spyware Doctor icon in
the notification area (next to the clock on the Windows
taskbar) and select Exit from the menu that appears)

2. Delete the file
ikhlayer.sys from %windir%\system32\drivers\
or
from c:\windows\system32\drivers\

3. Restart Spyware Doctor

Chkdsk, defrag and error-checking should now work.
-----

[[There is currently no fix for this problem.]]
[[NOTE: You may have success if you schedule Chkdsk to run at startup and
use the /X switch, which will force a dismount. ]]
from...
JSI Tip 7079. You receive 'Cannot open volume for direct access' when Chkdsk
runs during Windows XP startup
http://www.jsifaq.com/subO/tip7000/rh7079.htm

To run chkdsk from a command prompt.

Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
In the command prompt, type:

chkdsk C: /x

Hit your Enter key.

The following error message appears:
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you
like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system
restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y, hit Enter and close the command prompt.

Reboot.

The /x switch: Use with NTFS only. Forces the volume to dismount first, if
necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. /x also includes
the functionality of /f. The /F switch fixes errors on the disk.

Unable to run CHKDSK
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555484

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:02FDE47F-B73A-43AD-B80F-779696AF3EB6(a)microsoft.com,
Quandary <Quandary(a)discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

From: ETLCS on
When you run chkdsk, you must have NO running programs, and you need to leave
your computer for awile, or sit and wait for it to complete. If this is
still happening, aven after you did the above tip, try restarting in safe
mode, and doing it that way (this might work, and it might not, beacse when
you start your computer in safe mode, many of the settings and programs do
NOT work).

From: Quandary on
Hi Wesley

The problem was in Spyware Doctor as outlined.
Your instuctions were very clear and easy to follow, the only thing I
modified slightly was to find the file directly via the search funtion
(including hidden files) and then to drag the file to the recyle bin. This
allowed the file to be inactivated during the chkdsk run but reinstalled
after afterwards.
Thank you for your help.

Regards
Quandary :)