From: michelle439731 on
I'm trying to get my computer to boot up in Safe mode in order to remove a
virus. I press F8 when the computer is booting up but instead of displaying
a list of options including "safe mode" I get

Please select boot device:
1st Floppy drive
VIA VT6420 1st HDD
SM-Sony DVD RW DW-U18A
SS-Sony CD-RW CRX230E

with the option to press Esc to boot up using default. I'm sure I've booted
up in safe mode before and there was definatly a list where "safe mode" was a
selection in the list.
From: Brian A. on
What happens if you select the second choice - the HDD?

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

From: DhamAngry on
Another way to get into safemode:
1. Start > Run > type: msconfig.exe
2. Choose the BOOT.INI Tab
3. Check /SAFEBOOT
4. Press OK and Restart

Note: Don't forget to go back into msconfig and uncheck this option when
you're ready to return to normal boot.

--
Please rate my responses - Thanks.
http://www.geocities.com/dhamangry

From: none on
On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:58:02 -0700, michelle439731
<michelle439731(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to get my computer to boot up in Safe mode in order to remove a
>virus. I press F8 when the computer is booting up but instead of displaying
>a list of options including "safe mode" I get
>
>Please select boot device:
>1st Floppy drive
>VIA VT6420 1st HDD
>SM-Sony DVD RW DW-U18A
>SS-Sony CD-RW CRX230E

You are pressing F8 too early in the boot process. You are getting the
boot device selection menu from your BIOS.

Wait until Windows displays text that indicates that you can press F8
to choose other startup options.

Pages: 1
Prev: chkdsk failure
Next: alg.exe error - new