From: DaveNelson512 on
Recently I had a Windows XP machine die so I pulled the hard drive and put it
in an external case and everything seems fine except when I try to pull the
files from the drive and put them on my new PC (running Windows 7) I get a
permissions error that states, "You'll need to provide administrator
permission to copy this file."

So I right click on the file and select properties, then security, select
continue, and select my user ID and click apply and OK...but, when I then go
to copy it I get the same error.

I also, gave myself admin access on the drive:
My computer, select drive, select properties, security, grant my user full
control, and still I get the error message. Any help is greatly appreciated!
From: Shenan Stanley on
DaveNelson512 wrote:
> Recently I had a Windows XP machine die so I pulled the hard drive
> and put it in an external case and everything seems fine except
> when I try to pull the files from the drive and put them on my new
> PC (running Windows 7) I get a permissions error that states,
> "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file."
>
> So I right click on the file and select properties, then security,
> select continue, and select my user ID and click apply and
> OK...but, when I then go to copy it I get the same error.
>
> I also, gave myself admin access on the drive:
> My computer, select drive, select properties, security, grant my
> user full control, and still I get the error message. Any help is
> greatly appreciated!

Look into *taking ownership* as opposed to just granting yourself
permissions.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP