From: poetictestimony on
I have a Windows XP laptop and recently upgraded it to Windows Vista. Well,
when I try log on, a message says something about a product key code. I
wanted to know how can you dual boot Windows XP and Windows Vista (currently
using) without deleting any files? Also, is it possible to install a system
without a installation CD? I ask this because I know my key code is good.
It's just that I figured the onlyt solution would be to switch the system
back to XP since that's the original system, but I don't want to erase any of
my files. Please help.
From: Shenan Stanley on
poetictestimony wrote:
> I have a Windows XP laptop and recently upgraded it to Windows
> Vista. Well, when I try log on, a message says something about a
> product key code. I wanted to know how can you dual boot Windows XP
> and Windows Vista (currently using) without deleting any files?
> Also, is it possible to install a system without a installation CD?
> I ask this because I know my key code is good. It's just that I
> figured the onlyt solution would be to switch the system back to XP
> since that's the original system, but I don't want to erase any of
> my files. Please help.

You need to carefully explain what you did - because if you have actually
upgraded Windows XP in-place to Windows Vista - there is no back other than
a clean installation.

If it is asking for a product key - it wants the one that came with your
Windows Vista installation media. Enter it and activate your copy of
Windows Vista online.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP