From: Mike S on
On 6/6/2010 1:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware switch
> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
>
> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am not
> sharing any resources on the laptop.

Is it showing in preferred networks, and if so, when removed does it
return?

http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg

From: Jack B. Pollack on
it is only showing in the list of available networks (it is not in the
preferred list)

From: Mike S on
On 6/6/2010 6:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
> it is only showing in the list of available networks (it is not in the
> preferred list)
>

> "Mike S"<mscir(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 6/6/2010 1:48 PM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
>>> I have a WinXP SP3 laptop. Even with the wireless network hardware switch
>>> turned off Windows is showing a wireless network name "wireless".
>>>
>>> I have File and printer sharing disabled for the wireless card and am not
>>> sharing any resources on the laptop.
>>
>> Is it showing in preferred networks, and if so, when removed does it
>> return?
>>
>> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless/wzc3.jpg

If you look at the properties or advanced tab information, is the "This
is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are
not used" checkbox checked? If so can you just uncheck that and delete it?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Start | Settings | Network Connections | right-click on Wireless Network
Connection & select Disable.

From: Jack B. Pollack on
That doesnt explain the phantom connection