From: Frog on
It's time for me to ask another one of my learning questions. Can
somebody tell me why my Upload and Download Speeds are different? I
currently have a Download speed of 35.9 Mbps and an Upload Speed of 26.9
Mbps. I think the speed must have to do with the motherboard chip speed
and/or settings. When I look in the Device Manager>Processors I see the
following:

Processors
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.

I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference between 35.9 and
26.9 Mbps speed, but it just seems like they should be the same or
nearly the same. Again, this is a learning question--my system is fine
for now.

Thanks,
Frog
From: Big_Al on
Frog said this on 6/6/2010 1:47 PM:
> It's time for me to ask another one of my learning questions. Can
> somebody tell me why my Upload and Download Speeds are different? I
> currently have a Download speed of 35.9 Mbps and an Upload Speed of 26.9
> Mbps. I think the speed must have to do with the motherboard chip speed
> and/or settings. When I look in the Device Manager>Processors I see the
> following:
>
> Processors
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
>
> I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.
>
> I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference between 35.9 and
> 26.9 Mbps speed, but it just seems like they should be the same or
> nearly the same. Again, this is a learning question--my system is fine
> for now.
>

> Thanks,
> Frog

I don't think your speeds have anything to do with your PC. I'm with
Verizon and I know they sell different combos at different prices.
When I started with them 3 years ago it was 15dwn/5up. Then it jumped
to 20/15 and I've now seen where you can get 100mb. Still, the point
is, my ISP regulates it. Not me. Of course I'm limited by my nic
card and/or wireless, and router etc etc etc. I use my laptop a ton
and when I have a lot of data to push, I hook up wired since my G
wireless maxes out before the line does.

From: DL on
Its got nothing to do with Win, its dependent on your ISP

From: choro on
DL wrote:
> Its got nothing to do with Win, its dependent on your ISP
>
> "Frog" <frog(a)pond.com> wrote in message
>> It's time for me to ask another one of my learning questions. Can
>> somebody tell me why my Upload and Download Speeds are different? I
>> currently have a Download speed of 35.9 Mbps and an Upload Speed of
>> 26.9 Mbps. I think the speed must have to do with the motherboard
>> chip speed and/or settings. When I look in the Device
>> Manager>Processors I see the following:
>>
>> Processors
>> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
>> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
>> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
>> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
>>
>> I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.
>>
>> I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference between 35.9 and
>> 26.9 Mbps speed, but it just seems like they should be the same or
>> nearly the same. Again, this is a learning question--my system is
>> fine for now. Thanks,
>> Frog

Download and Upload speeds are two different things. Ask your ISP for
details of the service you get but remember that what they will quote are
the MAXIMUM speeds under optimum conditions. That's again a different thing
to what you can achieve on your computer depending on other things such as
the time you connect to the service and how busy the lines are in your
neighborhood and the source you are accessing.

You will get faster access speeds in the small hours of the night which
might not exactly coincide with WHEN you want to access the service. ! ;-)
--
choro
*****

From: Paul on
Frog wrote:
> It's time for me to ask another one of my learning questions. Can
> somebody tell me why my Upload and Download Speeds are different? I
> currently have a Download speed of 35.9 Mbps and an Upload Speed of 26.9
> Mbps. I think the speed must have to do with the motherboard chip speed
> and/or settings. When I look in the Device Manager>Processors I see the
> following:
>
> Processors
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
>
> I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.
>
> I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference between 35.9 and
> 26.9 Mbps speed, but it just seems like they should be the same or
> nearly the same. Again, this is a learning question--my system is fine
> for now.
>

> Thanks,
> Frog

Your headers say you're on FIOS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fios

"* The lowest bandwidth tier was originally 5 Mbit/s down and 2 Mbit/s up
and is now 15 Mbit/s down and 5 Mbit/s up in most areas.
(bundled with FiOS TV Prime HD)

* A second tier is available with 25 Mbit/s download speed and
25 Mbit/s upload speed. (bundled with FiOS TV Extreme HD)

* A third (or higher) service tier, when available for residential service,
provides higher still bandwidth, in some areas reaching
30/15, 35/35 or 50/20 Mbit/s download and upload.
(bundled with FiOS TV Ultimate HD)"

So some of the plans are "equal" and some emphasize more download
than upload (suitable for consumer usage like streaming movie viewing).

If you're doing bandwidth testing, such as "is FIOS giving me what
I paid for" type testing, you should use a wired connection for that.
If any part of your setup is going to limit what you're currently
doing, it would be the wireless part of the setup. You'd want to
test with an Ethernet cable running to the FIOS box directly,
if you wanted to verify the absolute max the FIOS box can give.
If your $50 router box is in the path, or there is a mixed A/B/G/N
Wifi setup or the like, that might impact your results. Running an
Ethernet cable directly from the computer, to a wired port on the FIOS box,
eliminates any bottlenecks in your house. Wifi has variable
performance, which is why you wouldn't want it in the path
for any "absolute max" testing.

Paul