From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 18:18:23 -0400, Patok <crazy.div.patok(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> > On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 13:47:03 -0400, Frog <frog(a)pond.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Can
> >> somebody tell me why my Upload and Download Speeds are different? I
> >> currently have a Download speed of 35.9 Mbps and an Upload Speed of 26.9
> >> Mbps.
> >
> > What kind of internet service do you have? Both speeds are *very* high
> > (I'm jealous), and much closer to each other than is normal. For
> > example, my download speed is normally a little over 13 and my upload
> > speed a little under 3.5 (I use Comcast cable).
>
> He's on Verizon Fios, they have speeds like that. It's definitely
> much better than Comcast, especially if you can get the Fios TV in
> addition to the internet. I'm on the 25 up 25 down package, which tests
> 25 down 21 up on speedtest.net, he's on some other that I can't identify.

I suspected that he was on FiOS, but I wanted to hear that from him,
if it's correct. I wish I could get FiOS where I'm located, but I
can't.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Twayne on
In news:eavrDBaBLHA.4584(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl,
Frog <frog(a)pond.com> typed:
> It's time for me to ask another one of my learning
> questions. Can somebody tell me why my Upload and Download
> Speeds are different? I currently have a Download speed of
> 35.9 Mbps and an Upload Speed of 26.9 Mbps. I think the
> speed must have to do with the motherboard chip speed
> and/or settings. When I look in the Device
> Manager>Processors I see the following:
> Processors
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
>
> I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.
>
> I doubt that I would be able to tell the difference between
> 35.9 and 26.9 Mbps speed, but it just seems like they should be the
> same or nearly the same. Again, this is a learning
> question--my system is fine for now.
>

> Thanks,
> Frog

The simplest answer is, it's designed to be that way. ISPs do not have
anything to do with setting those standards: their routers/gateways adhere
to a set of specs that's all, same as your router/gateway does. So no, the
up/download speeds are always different unless you get into FIOS and other
specialty setups where they are equalized (for a large fee of course).

Wikipedia is a good place to start learning the basics; look up DSL
connection to start out.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Paul on
Twayne wrote:

> The simplest answer is, it's designed to be that way. ISPs do not have
> anything to do with setting those standards: their routers/gateways adhere
> to a set of specs that's all, same as your router/gateway does. So no, the
> up/download speeds are always different unless you get into FIOS and other
> specialty setups where they are equalized (for a large fee of course).
>
> Wikipedia is a good place to start learning the basics; look up DSL
> connection to start out.
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne`

I think he's on FIOS though. If you're reading his post from USENET, and
you check his headers, he's on FIOS.

He's likely one of the 32 subscribers on a GPON.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_optical_network

This slide deck has some pictures.

http://www.telcordia.com/services/testing/integrated-access/testing/itu_pon_past-present-future.ppt

Paul
From: apistomaster(nospam) on
I am using clearwire.net so the speed is whatever it is at any givin
moment but the plan i am on is supposed to deliver up to 2Gb/sec
download and up to 35Mb upload,
Sometimes it exceeds the promised speeds and more often it doesn't.
Clearwire.net is a cellualr type system so their modem received via
air transmissions.
Sometimes I have higher upload speeds than download speeds. That
usually ends up in a call to their technical services and nearly
always a temporary improvement.
I use and clearwire.net uses www.speedtest.net tests/
The formal name of my clearwireservice is www.clearwire.com not to be
confused with Clear.com, their new 4 g wireless home srvice.

I no longer use my LinksysWRT54G router. It is a "g" band router and
cannot jandle high speed downloads like video.
I replaced it with a Linksys WRT610N wireless router and it transmits
with 3 anrennae on both "g" and "n" channels. I get the same speeds
wireless as I do when connected to their modem directly. Speeds are
almost entirely dependent upon how well your ISP is performing at any
particular moment.

Quest does not offer a package any faster than clearwire does in my
area but Cableone does offer some pretty high speeds for a lot more
money but I have a choice and I choose to have nothing to do with a
cable company.

The wireless "n" is much better than "g" but I have legacy devices
like wireless Brother MFC665CW AIO printer so dual channel wireless
router is nice but 2 of my 3 laptops are 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium
with "n" wireless and one old laptop runs 32 bit Windows XP Home Media
Edition, sp 3 and is only wireless "g" capable.

If you want to enjoy high speed wireless you need to leave the world
of $50 wireless routers behind. The LinksysWRT610N even has a USB port
which I use to connect an External HD and I can back up any computer
on the network to the External HD or access any computer on the
network from any other but it does cost(~$180.00) to catch up with the
times and invest in the newer, more capable Windows 7 and "n" wireless
and much better wireless routers to enjoy the benefits of newer
technology and whatever speeds your ISP feels like actually delivering.