From: Desmond on
Hi I am not a professional and am using PS7. I want to merge images. I
have a large base image and want to add smaller ones inside. I have
cut around some images as gif and wanted to add a few pixels (white)
around them so that when I add the images they would be distinctive
with the small white border.
If anyone can tell me of another way? I dont want to merge them
without border as this would look poor in quality.

Please

Desmond.
From: tony cooper on
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:14:21 -0700 (PDT), Desmond
<otuatail(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>Hi I am not a professional and am using PS7. I want to merge images. I
>have a large base image and want to add smaller ones inside. I have
>cut around some images as gif and wanted to add a few pixels (white)
>around them so that when I add the images they would be distinctive
>with the small white border.
>If anyone can tell me of another way? I dont want to merge them
>without border as this would look poor in quality.

There are always several ways of doing anything in Photoshop. The way
I would do your project is to open your base file and open your file
with the smaller image. Go to Window>Documents>Tile and click.

That will put both images on the screen side-by-side. Now use your
Lasso tool* to cut around the part of the smaller image file. Once
you've completed the lasso, use the Move tool and drag the cut-out
from the smaller file to the base file. You can position it anywhere
you want in the base file. Close the secondary file.

Then go to the next secondary file and do the same thing. Each
addition will be a new layer, and you will flatten the image at the
end.

As to your white border, on the layer with the small image, click the
Magic Wand in that layer, then Select>Inverse. You now have "marching
ants" around your small image. Then Edit>Stroke> with white to the
width you want.

*You can use other tools to make your selection.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Des on
On Jun 13, 10:42 pm, tony cooper <tony_cooper...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:14:21 -0700 (PDT), Desmond
>
> <otuat...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> >Hi I am not a professional and am using PS7. I want to merge images. I
> >have a large base image and want to add smaller ones inside. I have
> >cut around some images as gif and wanted to add a few pixels (white)
> >around them so that when I add the images they would be distinctive
> >with the small white border.
> >If anyone can tell me of another way? I dont want to merge them
> >without border as this would look poor in quality.
>
> There are always several ways of doing anything in Photoshop.  The way
> I would do your project is to open your base file and open your file
> with the smaller image.  Go to Window>Documents>Tile and click.
>
> That will put both images on the screen side-by-side.  Now use your
> Lasso tool* to cut around the part of the smaller image file.  Once
> you've completed the lasso, use the Move tool and drag the cut-out
> from the smaller file to the base file.  You can position it anywhere
> you want in the base file.  Close the secondary file.
>
> Then go to the next secondary file and do the same thing.  Each
> addition will be a new layer, and you will flatten the image at the
> end.
>
> As to your white border, on the layer with the small image, click the
> Magic Wand in that layer, then Select>Inverse.  You now have "marching
> ants" around your small image.  Then Edit>Stroke> with white to the
> width you want.
>
> *You can use other tools to make your selection.
>
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Thanks for this. I have had another idea but dont know how to do this.
If I copy the image and enlarge it. This could be a mask mke it white?
Does this make any sence.

Desmond.
From: Johan W. Elzenga on
Des <desotuatail(a)aol.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this. I have had another idea but dont know how to do this.
> If I copy the image and enlarge it. This could be a mask mke it white?
Does this make any sence.

I get the feeling that you are making things more complicated than they
need to be. If you add a small image to a bigger one by drag and drop,
the small image becomes a new layer floating on top of the big image.
All you need to do now is double click next to the layer icon, to bring
up the layer styles dialog. In that dialog you can give the layer a
stroke (an edge) of any color and any thickness you want. You can also
give it a drop shadow, which looks very good in collages like this.

--
Johan W. Elzenga, Editor/Photographer, www.johanfoto.com
From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 07:18:07 -0500, Johan W. Elzenga
<nomail(a)please.invalid> wrote:

>Des <desotuatail(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for this. I have had another idea but dont know how to do this.
>> If I copy the image and enlarge it. This could be a mask mke it white?
>Does this make any sence.
>
>I get the feeling that you are making things more complicated than they
>need to be. If you add a small image to a bigger one by drag and drop,
>the small image becomes a new layer floating on top of the big image.
>All you need to do now is double click next to the layer icon, to bring
>up the layer styles dialog. In that dialog you can give the layer a
>stroke (an edge) of any color and any thickness you want. You can also
>give it a drop shadow, which looks very good in collages like this.

As I read the OP's request, the small image is a cut-out from some
other image. He may be selecting just a person's head and dropping
that into the base image.

If that's the case, a layer stroke will result in a line around the
entire layer and not just the outline of the head. He'll have a
rectangular box-like stroked insert. Making a selection of the head
will be required to put the line around the head only.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida