From: ~BD~ on

A request
*********

Please bear in mind this sentence:

"The term "computer virus" is sometimes used as a catch-all phrase to
include all types of malware, including true viruses."

It is in the first paragraph, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware

Try to get used to this and stop being so aggressive in your responses
to folk seeking help in the Usenet newsgroups - *please*.

I'm sure it will lead to happier people all round :)

--
Dave
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:16:55 -0400, ~BD~ <.BoaterDave(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> "The term "computer virus" is sometimes used as a catch-all phrase to
> include all types of malware, including true viruses."
> It is in the first paragraph, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
> Try to get used to this and stop being so aggressive in your responses
> to folk seeking help in the Usenet newsgroups - *please*.

It's quite common in the press, and among people who don't know better.
That doesn't mean the difference shouldn't be pointed out, when the
mistake is made.

It's important to understand the difference, as different types of
software are better at preventing/removing different types of malware.

Don't expect the people who choose to provide help, teaching people
how to remove and prevent malware, from including such a correction
with the help.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: David Kaye on
"David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>It's important to understand the difference, as different types of
>software are better at preventing/removing different types of malware.

And, considering that these newsgroups are supposed to be about the removal of
these malware problems, the clearer the terminology the better.

From: Dustin Cook on
sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote in

> "David W. Hodgins" <dwhodgins(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote:
>
>>It's important to understand the difference, as different types of
>>software are better at preventing/removing different types of malware.
>
> And, considering that these newsgroups are supposed to be about the
> removal of these malware problems, the clearer the terminology the
> better.

I agree.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

From: Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries on
Toxic wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 18:16:55 +0000, ~BD~ wrote:
>
>> A request
>> *********
>>

>> Please bear in mind this sentence:
>>
>> "The term "computer virus" is sometimes used as a catch-all
>> phrase to include all types of malware, including true viruses."
>>
>> It is in the first paragraph, here:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
>>
>> Try to get used to this and stop being so aggressive in your
>> *please*.
>>
>> I'm sure it will lead to happier people all round :)
>
> The joisie jooboi is only happy if someone else gets annoyed,
> now watch as his bevy of socks show up to disperse his rage,
> and flaunt his perversions.

You are aptly named.

Please go flaunt your raging bias elsewhere.

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk Fries

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to
be taken seriously. Hubert H. Humphrey