From: Fralentino on
Hi, AVG found this infection:

File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\srctrl.dll
Infection: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic9.AQZF
Result: Moved to Virus Vault

I have tried to find info on what this virus do and how its spread but
i haven't found any on the net. I think AVG is poor on giving
inforation about the viruses they find and i have looked at ther own
virus database at their page and could not find anything on this
virus.

Anyone who know what this virus do and how its spread or where i can
find that information?

Thanks in advance
/Fralentino
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Fralentino" <baretos(a)gmail.com>

| Hi, AVG found this infection:

| File: C:\WINDOWS\system32\srctrl.dll
| Infection: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic9.AQZF
| Result: Moved to Virus Vault

| I have tried to find info on what this virus do and how its spread but
| i haven't found any on the net. I think AVG is poor on giving
| inforation about the viruses they find and i have looked at ther own
| virus database at their page and could not find anything on this
| virus.

| Anyone who know what this virus do and how its spread or where i can
| find that information?

| Thanks in advance
| /Fralentino

As the name implies it is a "Trojan horse" and NOT a virus.

All viruses are malware and not all malware are viuses. A trojan is malware but it is not
a virus.

Additionally as the name implies "Downloader.Generic" it is a Generic Downloader thus
there will NOT be specific information on it. Do NOT blame AVG (or any other AV vendor)
for not having a malware encyclopedia that has EVERY known malware in it. It just isn't
pssible. At best they will have it on a "family" such as Vundo and Zeus Bot (Zbot).

Since it is a trojan, it does self replicate and as such does not auto-spread. Trojans
need assistance to be installed such as Social Engineer (human exploit) software
vulnerabilities, web site compramise, etc.

In short, it is a trojan and not a virus and it has a generic downloader definition.

--
Dave

From: Virus Guy on
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> In short, it is a trojan and not a virus

Don't you think that berating people over the use of the terms "virus"
and "trojan" is a waste of time?

What is the practical consequence of insisting on the useage of correct
terms? Other than pointing out the correct term, you made no
distinction between the two that was useful to the OP in this context.

I see little to no usefulness anymore in being critical over the
interchangable common use of the word "virus" to describe various forms
of malware, and specifically the us of the word "virus" to describe what
might actually be a trojan.

In more technical settings or circumstances the use of incorrect
terminology can be a hindrence or distraction, but this forum (and
specifically this and other similar threads) is no such place.
From: ~BD~ on
Virus Guy wrote:
> "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
>> In short, it is a trojan and not a virus
>
> Don't you think that berating people over the use of the terms "virus"
> and "trojan" is a waste of time?
>
> What is the practical consequence of insisting on the useage of correct
> terms? Other than pointing out the correct term, you made no
> distinction between the two that was useful to the OP in this context.
>
> I see little to no usefulness anymore in being critical over the
> interchangable common use of the word "virus" to describe various forms
> of malware, and specifically the us of the word "virus" to describe what
> might actually be a trojan.
>
> In more technical settings or circumstances the use of incorrect
> terminology can be a hindrence or distraction, but this forum (and
> specifically this and other similar threads) is no such place.

I support that view!

--
Dave - just a user!
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| "David H. Lipman" wrote:

>> In short, it is a trojan and not a virus

| Don't you think that berating people over the use of the terms "virus"
| and "trojan" is a waste of time?

| What is the practical consequence of insisting on the useage of correct
| terms? Other than pointing out the correct term, you made no
| distinction between the two that was useful to the OP in this context.

| I see little to no usefulness anymore in being critical over the
| interchangable common use of the word "virus" to describe various forms
| of malware, and specifically the us of the word "virus" to describe what
| might actually be a trojan.

| In more technical settings or circumstances the use of incorrect
| terminology can be a hindrence or distraction, but this forum (and
| specifically this and other similar threads) is no such place.

Berating ?
No, educating.

The difference between a virus and other malware is very important as the consequences of
external data and media infection becomes paramount.

Plaese stop so argumentative. I see it in too many threads you are in.

--
Dave

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11