From: ~BD~ on
David H. Lipman wrote:

> Please stop being so argumentative. I see it in too many threads you are in.

*PKB*?
From: Virus Guy on
David H. Lipman wrote:

> Berating ?
> No, educating.

Where was the educational component?

You chastised the OP for using "virus" when (according to you) he should
have used "trojan". Is that what you call education? Where was the
background information or explanation that actually gives some
"education" to the OP? Was he asking for it?

And my main point (which you haven't addressed) is the irrelavancy of
fighting the common useage of the term "virus" to describe what may very
well be trojans, or even worms.

~BD~ wrote:

> > Please stop being so argumentative. I see it in too
> > many threads you are in.
>
> *PKB*?

exactly
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com>

| David H. Lipman wrote:

>> Berating ?
>> No, educating.

| Where was the educational component?

| You chastised the OP for using "virus" when (according to you) he should
| have used "trojan". Is that what you call education? Where was the
| background information or explanation that actually gives some
| "education" to the OP? Was he asking for it?

| And my main point (which you haven't addressed) is the irrelavancy of
| fighting the common useage of the term "virus" to describe what may very
| well be trojans, or even worms.

If you don't see the instructional information in my reply then ....

I won't go there.

--
Dave

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
The Fake Truth Is-Not-An-MVP wrote:

> Yes.

Yes what, you top-posting non-MVP.

--
The Real Truth: http://www.google.com/search?q=pcbutts1+software+thief
They do NOT have the expertise or knowledge to fix your issue. Do not
From: FromTheRafters on
"Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote in message
> "David H. Lipman" wrote:
>
>> In short, it is a trojan and not a virus
>
> Don't you think that berating people over the use of the terms "virus"
> and "trojan" is a waste of time?

There was a time when user education was thought to be the only hope in
combating malware (I think it is now considered hopeless). The
difference in the behavioral shift between trojan and virus is enough to
warrant differing methods of fighting them. The distinction is
*important* and it is unfortunate that the popular term for malware has
become "virus".

> What is the practical consequence of insisting on the useage of
> correct
> terms? Other than pointing out the correct term, you made no
> distinction between the two that was useful to the OP in this context.

Here, I agree. It would be much better if the important distinctions
were laid out. However, many folks just don't care about the details.

> I see little to no usefulness anymore in being critical over the
> interchangable common use of the word "virus" to describe various
> forms
> of malware, and specifically the us of the word "virus" to describe
> what
> might actually be a trojan.

That is why the English language is getting so crappy. Important
distinctions are blurred in favor of popular misuse of terms.

> In more technical settings or circumstances the use of incorrect
> terminology can be a hindrence or distraction, but this forum (and
> specifically this and other similar threads) is no such place.

....but it offers a substantial opportunity to educate readers.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: VIRUS QUESTION
Next: Ping: David H Lipman