From: Bill in Co on
What John said was correct.
The MS newsgroups are Usenet newsgroups (and still available if you access
them on some other nntp server, since MS has dropped carrying them). Or
are we playing semantics games here?

From: Sunny on
Have you been listening to MEB ?
Newsgroups are Usenet
Forums can be Microsoft (Or any one who wants to host one)
Best explanation of Usenet I have seen :
http://encyclopedia.vbxml.net/Usenet
Extract from the above site :
"effective July 31, 2010, citing Google Groups as an alternative.
Microsoft announced that it would discontinue support for its
public newsgroups (msnews.microsoft.com)
from June 1, 2010, offering web forums as an alternative.

From: Sunny on
As further "proof" I am replying to my own post without using the ms
usenet server, but my ISP server (NNTP)
(Among other Usenet servers that still carry the "microsoft.public" Usenet
news groups)

From: John John - MVP on
Read here and see for yourself:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/guide/newsgroupfaq.mspx

These groups *ARE* Usenet groups, if you differ then you don't
understand Usenet and how it works.

John

From: Unknown on
Have you lost it?