From: Tom Lake on
Last night I replaced the Core i7 920 in my XPS 9000 with an X980.
After removing the old chip I looked at the socket. It has a band across
the middle with no pins. (Somehting like below) All the photos I've
seen of the 1366 socket show an entire square array of pins. The new
processor seems to be working just fine and all 12 cores (6 physical
and 6 hyperthreaded) show up and respond to Sandra's tests. Has
anyone here seen anything like this before? I know I shouldn't worry
so much if the processor tests OK, but I'd like to know if there are any
potential problems that might show up in the future.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Tom Lake

o=pin, x=no pin

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooo oooooooooo
ooooooooo oooooooooo
xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Pen on
On 6/19/2010 10:49 PM, Tom Lake wrote:
> Last night I replaced the Core i7 920 in my XPS 9000 with an
> X980.
> After removing the old chip I looked at the socket. It has
> a band across the middle with no pins. (Somehting like
> below) All the photos I've seen of the 1366 socket show an
> entire square array of pins. The new processor seems to be
> working just fine and all 12 cores (6 physical and 6
> hyperthreaded) show up and respond to Sandra's tests. Has
> anyone here seen anything like this before? I know I
> shouldn't worry so much if the processor tests OK, but I'd
> like to know if there are any potential problems that might
> show up in the future.
>
> Thanks for any insight into this.
>
> Tom Lake
>
> o=pin, x=no pin
>
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooo oooooooooo
> ooooooooo oooooooooo
> xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> ooooooooo oooooooooo
> ooooooooo oooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Intel's socket details found here. See page 13.
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/designex/320837.pdf
From: Tony Harding on
On 06/19/10 22:49, Tom Lake wrote:
> Last night I replaced the Core i7 920 in my XPS 9000 with an X980.
> After removing the old chip I looked at the socket. It has a band across
> the middle with no pins. (Somehting like below) All the photos I've seen
> of the 1366 socket show an entire square array of pins. The new
> processor seems to be working just fine and all 12 cores (6 physical and
> 6 hyperthreaded) show up and respond to Sandra's tests. Has anyone here
> seen anything like this before? I know I shouldn't worry so much if the
> processor tests OK, but I'd like to know if there are any potential
> problems that might show up in the future.
>
> Thanks for any insight into this.
>
> Tom Lake
>
> o=pin, x=no pin
>
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooo oooooooooo
> ooooooooo oooooooooo
> xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> ooooooooo oooooooooo
> ooooooooo oooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
> ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Makes me curious about my XPS 9000, but not enough to pull the i7-975 EE
chip it shipped with.

TonyH :)