From: Ant on
Hi all.

I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple
sessions, copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM
drive for playing music, watching movies, being source when copying
discs, etc.

Any recommendations? Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Even the sharpest ear cannot hear an ant singing." --Sudanese
/\___/\
\ _ / Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
( )
From: Rod Speed on
Ant wrote:

> Hi all.

All slashed his wrists, he got too many posts.

> I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
> upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
> retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
> Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

Neither. I prefer LGs, they arent as fussy about the media.

> I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple sessions,
> copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM drive for
> playing music, watching movies, being source when copying discs, etc.

Its generally better to have the DVD burner as the source now.

> Any recommendations?

I prefer LGs, they arent as fussy about the media.

> Thank you in advance. :)

This is no laughing matter boy.

From: Arno Wagner on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant <ANTant(a)zimage.com> wrote:
> Hi all.

> I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
> upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
> retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
> Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.

> I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple
> sessions, copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM
> drive for playing music, watching movies, being source when copying
> discs, etc.

> Any recommendations? Thank you in advance. :)

I recenlty looked at two drives with regard to DVD-RAM. the Lite On
managed to kill disks (which is supposed to be pretty hard), a Samsumg
203P (SATA) did very well. It also did very well for CDs. Did not
test DVD-<nonRAM>, since they basically all suck badly.

Arno
From: Ant on
On 12/18/2008 2:53 PM PT, Rod Speed typed:

> Ant wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>
> All slashed his wrists, he got too many posts.
>
>> I am debating on which SATA DVD+CD burner to get for my next computer
>> upgrade. I am still using my old Plextor CD burner and it is time to
>> retire it and go DVD! Which one would you pick -- PioneerDVR-212DD or
>> Sony/NEC (AD-7220S-0B or AD-7200S-0B)? They cost about 30 bucks.
>
> Neither. I prefer LGs, they arent as fussy about the media.
>
>> I will be doing CD and DVD burning (copy, importing with multiple sessions,
>> copy CDs and DVDs, etc.). I do have an old IDE/PATA DVD-ROM drive for
>> playing music, watching movies, being source when copying discs, etc.
>
> Its generally better to have the DVD burner as the source now.

But I will have to swap discs during copy. :( I just want to do direct
copy from CD/DVD drive to the burner. That is how I did it with my old
Plextor CD burner drive.
--
"We're all ants. I'm a glittery little ant." --Alanis Morissette
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: philpi(a)earthlink.netANT
( ) or ANTant(a)zimage.com
From: Ant on
On 12/18/2008 4:18 PM PT, Ed Light typed:

> If you depend on Nero's disk quality test, it won't work with the Pioneer.

How come it doens't work? What does Pioneer drives do differently? I
noticed the drives come with Nero OEM.
--
"Any spoke will lead the ant to the hub." --unknown
/\___/\