From: Allen on
GregS wrote:
> In article <YIidnY2FiZow0jXXnZ2dnUVZ_oydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, not(a)here.com wrote:
>> GregS wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> I don't recall the Steelers playing at Forbes Field, but remember
>>> them in Pitt stadium. USX steel, which has the letters UPMC the local
>> hospital
>>> lingo.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>> greg
>> OT, but so what. In the Fall that I was there I attended one Steelers
>> game, played at Forbes. The game wasn't memorable, but the trip was.
>> Four of us got in my car and headed out, but in the downtown area I was
>> totally lost. I saw a policemen and asked for directions. He started
>> rattling off some complicated directions and then stopped and said
>> "You'll never get there before the kickoff. Tell you what--I'll hold up
>> traffic (on a one-way street, incidentally) while you make a U-turn;
>> turn left at the first intersection (followed by concise directions) and
>> you should make it." This was typical of the people I encountered up
>> there--everyone was helpful and polite. Another question--does Tech
>> Pilsner still turn out Old Frothingslosh each spring? Or does Tech even
>> still exist? I hope that at least Iron City is still being brewed.
>> Allen
>>

> I'm lost at Tech Pilsner. Pittsburgh brewing which makes Iron City made Old
> Frothingslosh, with the foam on the bottom. Duquesnes is gone. Shirly Jones's
> Stoney's is still made outside of town.
>

> Iron city has been struggling, going to move into the old Rolling Rock place
> that that stopped brewing Rolling Rock and Bush bought the brand.. Its
> not the same beer. Iron City was also the prime producer of Samuel Adams
> a few years ago.
>
> Every year there is a crowd at the remaing Forbes Field. Mazeroski showed up
> this year. They replay that famous game.
>
> I know of only one city that has more bars per capita than Pittsburgh, and
> thats Atlanta.
>
> greg
Perhaps Tech was a product of Iron City; I thought it was a separate
company, but that was a long time ago and memories fail. This much I
remember: Tech Pilsner was, as the name implies, a light beer, and I
suppose was named foe Carnegie Tech, before Mellon was added. Every
spring they relabeled a lot of production labeled as Old Froshingslosh,
which the label described as "The Pale Stale Ale for the Pale Stale
Male"; in addition to that sinking foam; it also had the nakesake's
picture--a very drunken and dissipated looking roue. I really liked both
Iron City and Tech back then. I'm sorry that Tech is gone, and that Iron
City is in trouble; but considering the state of manufacturing in the
US, I'm not surprised. When even Budweiser was sold overseas.....
Allen
From: Miles Bader on
Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com> writes:
> Tech Pilsner was, as the name implies, a light beer, and I
> suppose was named foe Carnegie Tech, before Mellon was added. Every
> spring they relabeled a lot of production labeled as Old Froshingslosh,
> which the label described as "The Pale Stale Ale for the Pale Stale
> Male"

Hmm, I don't suppose they changed the beer formula tho...

-Miles

--
Custard, n. A vile concoction produced by a malevolent conspiracy of the hen,
the cow, and the cook.
From: Allen on
Miles Bader wrote:
> Allen <allent(a)austin.rr.com> writes:
>> Tech Pilsner was, as the name implies, a light beer, and I
>> suppose was named foe Carnegie Tech, before Mellon was added. Every
>> spring they relabeled a lot of production labeled as Old Froshingslosh,
>> which the label described as "The Pale Stale Ale for the Pale Stale
>> Male"
>
> Hmm, I don't suppose they changed the beer formula tho...
>
> -Miles

If so, it was a veeeery subtle change--tasted just the same to me.
Allen
From: Allen on
John Turco wrote:
> Allen wrote:
>
> <edited for brevity>
>
>> I spent March 1955 through June 1956 west of Pittsburgh, near Coraopolis,
>> courtesy of the U. S. Army. I loved the place (other than the army part),
>> and especially the open country. But my, how it has changed! the USSteel,
>> Pittsburgh Plate Glass and Alcoa buildings dominated the skyline then,
>> and both the Tigers and the Steelers sill played at Forbes Field. Tell
>> me, what is the building with four corner spires?
>> Allen
>

> Hello, Allen:
>
> The Pirates call Pittsburgh home; whereas the Tigers are in Detroit,
> along with those other "big cats," the Lions. :-J

Excuse me!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know what I was thinking (or not thinking)
about. Football, not baseball, is my preferred game.
Allen