From: GregS on
Celebrating the G20 conference I decided to see whats currently on the web in
pictures. Dissapointing on first look. Some of my favorite
views, but only one which is actually mine from PNC Park.
It actually overlooks the convention center.

http://prontherun.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/pittsburgh1b.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/pittsburgh/1/0/v/6/pittsburgh_2-1024.jpg

http://www.naiw-pittsburgh.com/pgh6.jpg

http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/pnc.jpg

greg
From: Allen on
GregS wrote:
> Celebrating the G20 conference I decided to see whats currently on the web in
> pictures. Dissapointing on first look. Some of my favorite
> views, but only one which is actually mine from PNC Park.
> It actually overlooks the convention center.
>
> http://prontherun.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/pittsburgh1b.jpg
>
> http://z.about.com/d/pittsburgh/1/0/v/6/pittsburgh_2-1024.jpg
>
> http://www.naiw-pittsburgh.com/pgh6.jpg
>
> http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/pnc.jpg
>

> greg
I spent March 1955 through June 1956 west of Pittsburgh, near
Coraopolis, courtesy of the U. S. Army. I loved the place (other than
the army part), and especially the open country. But my, how it has
changed! the USSteel, Pittsburgh Plate Glass and Alcoa buildings
dominated the skyline then, and both the Tigers and the Steelers sill
played at Forbes Field. Tell me, what is the building with four corner
spires?
Allen
From: GregS on
In article <oPudnRZ0YOZ5fjrXnZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, not(a)here.com wrote:
>GregS wrote:
>> Celebrating the G20 conference I decided to see whats currently on the web in
>
>> pictures. Dissapointing on first look. Some of my favorite
>> views, but only one which is actually mine from PNC Park.
>> It actually overlooks the convention center.
>>
>> http://prontherun.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/pittsburgh1b.jpg
>>
>> http://z.about.com/d/pittsburgh/1/0/v/6/pittsburgh_2-1024.jpg
>>
>> http://www.naiw-pittsburgh.com/pgh6.jpg
>>
>> http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/pnc.jpg
>>

>> greg
>I spent March 1955 through June 1956 west of Pittsburgh, near
>Coraopolis, courtesy of the U. S. Army. I loved the place (other than
>the army part), and especially the open country. But my, how it has
>changed! the USSteel, Pittsburgh Plate Glass and Alcoa buildings
>dominated the skyline then, and both the Tigers and the Steelers sill
>played at Forbes Field. Tell me, what is the building with four corner
>spires?
>Allen

That might be Fifth Ave. Place. Check the link

I don't recall the Steelers playing at Forbes Field, but remember
them in Pitt stadium. USX steel, which has the letters UPMC the local hospital
lingo.

http://www.aviewoncities.com/buildings/pittsburgh.htm

I have not taken any other pics down there since about
1974. I did a BW 35 mm panoramic shot using about
8 frames onto BW paper. Is about 5 foot long in now
bad shape.

You can't see in the pictures Mellon Arena
which will be torn down after building the Consol Energy Arena.
The old dome shaped arena opened up, like in the movie,
Suden Death.

It was hard to manuver around the streets back in the 60's
and 70's because of all the street car tracks.

greg
From: GregS on
In article <h892g2$5sr$2(a)usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
>In article <oPudnRZ0YOZ5fjrXnZ2dnUVZ_smdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, not(a)here.com wrote:
>>GregS wrote:
>>> Celebrating the G20 conference I decided to see whats currently on the web
> in
>>
>>> pictures. Dissapointing on first look. Some of my favorite
>>> views, but only one which is actually mine from PNC Park.
>>> It actually overlooks the convention center.
>>>
>>> http://prontherun.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/pittsburgh1b.jpg
>>>
>>> http://z.about.com/d/pittsburgh/1/0/v/6/pittsburgh_2-1024.jpg
>>>
>>> http://www.naiw-pittsburgh.com/pgh6.jpg
>>>
>>> http://zekfrivolous.com/misc/pnc.jpg
>>>

>>> greg
>>I spent March 1955 through June 1956 west of Pittsburgh, near
>>Coraopolis, courtesy of the U. S. Army. I loved the place (other than
>>the army part), and especially the open country. But my, how it has
>>changed! the USSteel, Pittsburgh Plate Glass and Alcoa buildings
>>dominated the skyline then, and both the Tigers and the Steelers sill
>>played at Forbes Field. Tell me, what is the building with four corner
>>spires?
>>Allen
>
>That might be Fifth Ave. Place. Check the link
>
>I don't recall the Steelers playing at Forbes Field, but remember
>them in Pitt stadium. USX steel, which has the letters UPMC the local hospital
>lingo.
>
>http://www.aviewoncities.com/buildings/pittsburgh.htm
>

>I have not taken any other pics down there since about
>1974. I did a BW 35 mm panoramic shot using about
>8 frames onto BW paper. Is about 5 foot long in now
>bad shape.
>
>You can't see in the pictures Mellon Arena
>which will be torn down after building the Consol Energy Arena.
>The old dome shaped arena opened up, like in the movie,
>Suden Death.
>
>It was hard to manuver around the streets back in the 60's
>and 70's because of all the street car tracks.

By the way, Pitt stadium is no longer. The Event center for basketball and concerts is
there now. very nice. They were doing some filming of up comming movie, Warrior
this summer.

greg

From: Allen on
GregS wrote:
<snip>
> I don't recall the Steelers playing at Forbes Field, but remember
> them in Pitt stadium. USX steel, which has the letters UPMC the local hospital
> lingo.

<snip>
> greg
OT, but so what. In the Fall that I was there I attended one Steelers
game, played at Forbes. The game wasn't memorable, but the trip was.
Four of us got in my car and headed out, but in the downtown area I was
totally lost. I saw a policemen and asked for directions. He started
rattling off some complicated directions and then stopped and said
"You'll never get there before the kickoff. Tell you what--I'll hold up
traffic (on a one-way street, incidentally) while you make a U-turn;
turn left at the first intersection (followed by concise directions) and
you should make it." This was typical of the people I encountered up
there--everyone was helpful and polite. Another question--does Tech
Pilsner still turn out Old Frothingslosh each spring? Or does Tech even
still exist? I hope that at least Iron City is still being brewed.
Allen