From: Richard Vaughn on
Suggestions on best way to play .mov files on a Fedora Core 9 machine?
Any successes with VLC? Xine? mplayer? Other?

-Richard Vaughn
From: David W. Hodgins on
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:37:37 -0500, Richard Vaughn <rvaughn9(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Suggestions on best way to play .mov files on a Fedora Core 9 machine?
> Any successes with VLC? Xine? mplayer? Other?

Should work with any of the above, provided you have the
right codecs installed.

With Mandriva, the PLF repositories are needed. I expect
Fedora has similar repositories for packages that may
violate patents.

I wrote a script that will parse the strace output for an
application, and do a lookup to see which packages provide
the files used by that application. When I play a .mov
video using mplayer, it shows files from the appended list
of packages are being used. Again, this is a Mandriva
system, so some package names may not be identical.

fontconfig \
fonts-ttf-dejavu \
glibc \
libaa1 \
libalsa2 \
libatk1.0_0 \
libaudiofile0 \
libbs2b0 \
libbzip2_1 \
libcaca0 \
libcairo2 \
libcap2 \
libcdda0 \
libdbus-1_3 \
libdca0 \
libdirac0.1 \
libdirectfb1.2_0 \
libdrm2 \
libdv4 \
libenca0 \
libesound0 \
libfaac0 \
libflac8 \
libfontconfig1 \
libfreetype6 \
libfribidi0 \
libgcc1 \
libgdk_pixbuf2.0_0 \
libggi2 \
libgii1 \
libgio2.0_0 \
libglib2.0_0 \
libgtk+-x11-2.0_0 \
libice6 \
libjack0 \
libjpeg7 \
liblame0 \
liblcms1 \
liblirc0 \
liblrmi0 \
libmad0 \
libmesagl1 \
libmng1 \
libmpcdec5 \
libnas2 \
libncurses5 \
libncursesw5 \
libogg0 \
liboil0.3_0 \
libopencore-amr0 \
libpango1.0_0 \
libpcre0 \
libpixman-1_0 \
libpng3 \
libpulseaudio0 \
libschroedinger1.0_0 \
libSDL1.2_0 \
libslang2 \
libsm6 \
libsndfile1 \
libspeex1 \
libstdc++6 \
libtheora0 \
libungif4 \
libvbe0 \
libvorbis0 \
libvorbisenc2 \
libwrap0 \
libx11_6 \
libx11-common \
libx264_65 \
libxau6 \
libxcb1 \
libxcomposite1 \
libxcursor1 \
libxdamage1 \
libxdmcp6 \
libxext6 \
libxfixes3 \
libxi6 \
libxinerama1 \
libxml2_2 \
libxrandr2 \
libxrender1 \
libxscrnsaver1 \
libxt6 \
libxtst6 \
libxv1 \
libxvid4 \
libxvmc1 \
libxxf86dga1 \
libxxf86vm1 \
locales-en \
mplayer \
ncurses \
x11-data-cursor-themes \
zlib1

Regards, Dave Hodgins

From: piscesboy on
On Jan 13, 12:37 pm, Richard Vaughn <rvaug...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Suggestions on best way to play .mov files on a Fedora Core 9 machine?
> Any successes with VLC?  Xine?  mplayer?  Other?
>
> -Richard Vaughn

You cannot go wrong with MPlayer.