From: Jolly Roger on
In article <040820100736593898%anonymous(a)nowhere.com>,
Breaktime <anonymous(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that my Power Mac G5 will sometimes crash a few minutes or
> can take up to an hour to happen after having been put to sleep (the
> crash causes the fans to come on and run at full speed).
>
> The computer appears to go to sleep normally i.e. the power light
> pulses normally indicating that the unit is asleep.
>
> This seems to occur only if spotlight is indexing my HD at the time
> that I put it to sleep.
>
> It doesn't happen often but when it does the only way to recover is to
> power down the Mac.
>
> It started happening ever since Leopard was installed (currently
> running 10.5.8) - not sure if its related to Leopard or not but I
> started seeing this happen occasionally about the time I installed
> Leopard.

First suspect: any external Firewire or USB hard drives

JR
From: Matthew Lybanon on
In article <jollyroger-648857.11045604082010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> In article <040820100736593898%anonymous(a)nowhere.com>,
> Breaktime <anonymous(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> > I've noticed that my Power Mac G5 will sometimes crash a few minutes or
> > can take up to an hour to happen after having been put to sleep (the
> > crash causes the fans to come on and run at full speed).
> >
> > The computer appears to go to sleep normally i.e. the power light
> > pulses normally indicating that the unit is asleep.
> >
> > This seems to occur only if spotlight is indexing my HD at the time
> > that I put it to sleep.
> >
> > It doesn't happen often but when it does the only way to recover is to
> > power down the Mac.
> >
> > It started happening ever since Leopard was installed (currently
> > running 10.5.8) - not sure if its related to Leopard or not but I
> > started seeing this happen occasionally about the time I installed
> > Leopard.
>
> First suspect: any external Firewire or USB hard drives

This looks like the same (or similar) problem I reported. I do have an
external USB drive that I use for Time Machine backups. I try to make
sure TM isn't in the middle of a backup when I put the Mac to sleep,
though that may not make any difference. No further freezes (seems like
the wrong term for something related to high temperatures) since my
original post, but it's only been a few days. I did follow the advice
to switch Processor Performance to Highest. So far, so good.