From: Matthew Lybanon on
G5 tower running OS X 10.5.8. A few times recently, the fan has run
away while the computer is in sleep mode. When that happens it does not
respond to the keyboard or mouse. The only thing I can do (apparently)
is to kill the power and restart. As far as I can tell nothing is
damaged when this happens (Disk Utility finds no problems and everything
works normally after the restart). So it is really just an
inconvenience--at least so far.

The last time this happened (yesterday) I checked the logs and found no
information about what happened. There are no entries at all with time
tags between when I put the computer to sleep and when (several hours
later) I restarted. I couldn't find any information about this problem
on the Apple website either. The room the Mac is in is air conditioned
(the thermostat is set a few degrees higher than in the winter), and I
have an external fan blowing heat away from the computer. Yet this
still happens occasionally. It has not happened (yet) when the
computer is running (not in sleep mode). Can anyone tell me what is
happening, and what I can do to prevent further occurrences?
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <lybanon-4A6A67.09062102082010(a)earthlink.us.supernews.com>,
Matthew Lybanon <lybanon(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> G5 tower running OS X 10.5.8. A few times recently, the fan has run
> away while the computer is in sleep mode. When that happens it does not
> respond to the keyboard or mouse. The only thing I can do (apparently)
> is to kill the power and restart. As far as I can tell nothing is
> damaged when this happens (Disk Utility finds no problems and everything
> works normally after the restart). So it is really just an
> inconvenience--at least so far.
>
> The last time this happened (yesterday) I checked the logs and found no
> information about what happened. There are no entries at all with time
> tags between when I put the computer to sleep and when (several hours
> later) I restarted. I couldn't find any information about this problem
> on the Apple website either. The room the Mac is in is air conditioned
> (the thermostat is set a few degrees higher than in the winter), and I
> have an external fan blowing heat away from the computer. Yet this
> still happens occasionally. It has not happened (yet) when the
> computer is running (not in sleep mode). Can anyone tell me what is
> happening, and what I can do to prevent further occurrences?

If I had to guess, I'd say the most likely culprit would be some device
driver is not handling sleep/wake properly, and is hanging the system.

Often if you find the place in the system.log log file where the system
started back up after the crash, and work your way back from there,
you'll find some error messages that may give you clues about which
device is misbehaving.

What USB, Firewire, PCI card, and other devices do you have connected to
this machine?

JR
From: JF Mezei on
Matthew Lybanon wrote:
> G5 tower running OS X 10.5.8. A few times recently, the fan has run
> away while the computer is in sleep mode.

Wild guess here: If the temperature sensor is deffective, has lint or
whatever on it, it may report excessive temperature causing fan to speed
up. Some computers are wired to prevent CPU from running if temperature
has exceeded a certain limit.
From: Suze on
In article <lybanon-4A6A67.09062102082010(a)earthlink.us.supernews.com>,
Matthew Lybanon <lybanon(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> G5 tower running OS X 10.5.8. A few times recently, the fan has run
> away while the computer is in sleep mode. When that happens it does not
> respond to the keyboard or mouse. The only thing I can do (apparently)
> is to kill the power and restart. As far as I can tell nothing is
> damaged when this happens (Disk Utility finds no problems and everything
> works normally after the restart). So it is really just an
> inconvenience--at least so far.
>
> The last time this happened (yesterday) I checked the logs and found no
> information about what happened. There are no entries at all with time
> tags between when I put the computer to sleep and when (several hours
> later) I restarted. I couldn't find any information about this problem
> on the Apple website either. The room the Mac is in is air conditioned
> (the thermostat is set a few degrees higher than in the winter), and I
> have an external fan blowing heat away from the computer. Yet this
> still happens occasionally. It has not happened (yet) when the
> computer is running (not in sleep mode). Can anyone tell me what is
> happening, and what I can do to prevent further occurrences?

Google 'Mac G5 fan on high', and wear yourself out, loads of others with
fan probs. A few juicy apple discussions that might provide some
assistance. One fellow got Apple to pay to fix his... others not.
This page has a lot of info you might check out
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/powermacg5/topic2215.html
--
Suze
Think of how stupid the average person is, and
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<replytome-0C4BD4.13322402082010(a)reserved-multicast-range-not-delegated.
example.com>,
Suze <replytome(a)thenewsgroup.com> wrote:

> In article <lybanon-4A6A67.09062102082010(a)earthlink.us.supernews.com>,
> Matthew Lybanon <lybanon(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > G5 tower running OS X 10.5.8. A few times recently, the fan has run
> > away while the computer is in sleep mode. When that happens it does not
> > respond to the keyboard or mouse. The only thing I can do (apparently)
> > is to kill the power and restart. As far as I can tell nothing is
> > damaged when this happens (Disk Utility finds no problems and everything
> > works normally after the restart). So it is really just an
> > inconvenience--at least so far.
> >
> > The last time this happened (yesterday) I checked the logs and found no
> > information about what happened. There are no entries at all with time
> > tags between when I put the computer to sleep and when (several hours
> > later) I restarted. I couldn't find any information about this problem
> > on the Apple website either. The room the Mac is in is air conditioned
> > (the thermostat is set a few degrees higher than in the winter), and I
> > have an external fan blowing heat away from the computer. Yet this
> > still happens occasionally. It has not happened (yet) when the
> > computer is running (not in sleep mode). Can anyone tell me what is
> > happening, and what I can do to prevent further occurrences?
>
> Google 'Mac G5 fan on high', and wear yourself out, loads of others with
> fan probs. A few juicy apple discussions that might provide some
> assistance. One fellow got Apple to pay to fix his... others not.
> This page has a lot of info you might check out
> http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/powermacg5/topic2215.html

The fan is not the problem, but is a symptom of the problem. The fact
that this is happening at sleep / wake indicates it may be related to a
malfunctioning device or device driver that is not handling the sleep /
wake event properly. That is one of the most common causes of this
behavior.

JR