From: Mayayana on

-- | I am still using the MS server for this group and for
| microsoft.public.scripting.wsh, which is not active, at all. Both groups
| are also mirrored on my ISP's Usenet server, so I hope they will
| continue even if MS drops them.

I'm not an expert on Usenet, but there was a
great deal of discussion about the change in the
VB group. What it seems to boil down to is that
each host is a mirror and does not necessarily
discontinue a group when the original host does.
There are many ISPs that will probably continue
the MS groups. Also, these two free servers seem
to be committed to continuing service:

eternal-september.org and aioe.org

I say "seem" because I'm depending on info. from
people more familiar with the system, and I never
saw a *really* clear explanation. From what I can
gather, a host like MS may or may not send out an
official message to end a given group. Then other
mirrors may or may not decide to act on that message.
My understanding is that the two hosts above have no
intention of acting on such a message.

I imagine that MS could decide to play dirty and
try to get all mirrors shut down through coercion
of one kind or another. I have no idea whether that's
likely.

From: Kenneth A. Larsen on

From: Kenneth A. Larsen on

From: Kenneth A. Larsen on