From: Hugh Coomes on
On 08/ 2/10 08:48 AM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> UnixUser wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I am unable to download the latest BIOS, firmware. SP,
>> and drivers from sun/oracle because I need a service contract. I
>> purchased a sunfire v20z used (end of life system) on ebay ( pretty
>> cheap), I wish to upgrade my very old bios, etc. I think it is robbery
>> for oracle/sun to charge for bios updates, especially when other PC
>> companies provide such things for free.
>>
>> Hopefully, someone here can help by e-mailing the latest bios, etc to me.
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
>> Tony Rodriguez
>> unixpro1970(a)gmail.com <mailto:unixpro1970(a)gmail.com>
>
> Most of us either pay Sun for support or do without. What makes you
> think that you should be able to get firmware and software for free?
>
> Perhaps you should sell your Sunfire V20Z on ebay and take up a less
> expensive hobby!

Seems like a reasonable expectation, since, until recently, anyone with
a SunSolve login could download BIOS updates for (at least some) Sun
hardware, regardless of whether the hardware was on a support contract.

I think this changed about the time of the Oracle purchase.

From: ITguy on
> Unfortunately, I am unable to download the latest BIOS, firmware. SP,
> and drivers from sun/oracle because I need a service contract.  I
> purchased a sunfire v20z used (end of life system) on ebay ( pretty
> cheap), I wish to upgrade my very old bios, etc.  I think it is robbery
> for oracle/sun to charge for bios updates, especially when other PC
> companies provide such things for free.

Robbery indeed! Firmware and driver updates rarely ever contain
additional functionality - they fix bugs. So once you've paid for
premium hardware, you have to continue paying to get WORKING
firmware?!! I liked Sun, and Solaris is the best server OS I've
supported, but being the best and being successful don't necessarily
go together. Technology isn't any different than anything else - most
people will choose a cheaper "good enough" solution over high quality
that costs more. I'm going to miss being a Sun/Solaris administrator.
From: chuckers on
On Aug 3, 2:45 am, UnixUser <unixu...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> Thank you to those offering actual helpful advice.  :-)
>
> As for the others, does it make any sense to act like JERKS?  I asked a
> simple question and some of your responses are insulting and not helpful
> at all!  What is the point of this newsgroup, especially if the only
> value is a bunch of rude people that rather insult instead of help out?
> Sorry, but I feel BIOS updates and device drivers should always remain
> free .  It is insulting for a company like Oracle/Sun to charge for such
> a thing.  Once again, almost every motherboard company offers BIOS
> software and Device drivers for free so my request isn't unreasonable.
> Good Grief!

Does it make any sense to entice someone to violate their user
agreement
with Oracle/Sun and open themselves to possible litigation?

I agree that patches and BIOS updates ought to be available and free
but
I am not a decision maker for Oracle. They have, for better or worse,
decreed
that a support contract is required for that. As was stated, either
get one
yourself or do without the updates. Enticing people violate their own
contracts
is not really a way to make friends and influence people.
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
ITguy wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I am unable to download the latest BIOS, firmware. SP,
>> and drivers from sun/oracle because I need a service contract. I
>> purchased a sunfire v20z used (end of life system) on ebay ( pretty
>> cheap), I wish to upgrade my very old bios, etc. I think it is robbery
>> for oracle/sun to charge for bios updates, especially when other PC
>> companies provide such things for free.
>
> Robbery indeed! Firmware and driver updates rarely ever contain
> additional functionality - they fix bugs. So once you've paid for
> premium hardware, you have to continue paying to get WORKING
> firmware?!! I liked Sun, and Solaris is the best server OS I've
> supported, but being the best and being successful don't necessarily
> go together. Technology isn't any different than anything else - most
> people will choose a cheaper "good enough" solution over high quality
> that costs more. I'm going to miss being a Sun/Solaris administrator.

If you had bought that machine new, Sun would almost certainly upgrade
your BIOS. You didn't buy it new and you didn't buy it from Sun. It's
not clear to me why you think that Sun Microsystems owes you anything!

It would be nice if Sun would provide updated firmware for free but they
don't and won't. Your choices are to sell the machine, live with it as
it now is, or pay Sun for a firmware upgrade. Actually, there is a
fourth option: write and install your own BIOS. It's not very practical
for most customers but the possibility is there!

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-03 01:43:10 +0100, ITguy said:

> Robbery indeed! Firmware and driver updates rarely ever contain
> additional functionality - they fix bugs. So once you've paid for
> premium hardware, you have to continue paying to get WORKING
> firmware?!! I liked Sun, and Solaris is the best server OS I've
> supported, but being the best and being successful don't necessarily
> go together. Technology isn't any different than anything else - most
> people will choose a cheaper "good enough" solution over high quality
> that costs more. I'm going to miss being a Sun/Solaris administrator.

So go and buy your Solaris-certified hardware from a vendor willing to
give you your firmware updates for free. If enough do, Oracle may
notice and change their policy. Vote with your wallet!
--
Chris