From: Chris Cox on
On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 12:16 +0000, Gary Mills wrote:
> In <i35fut$ho4$1(a)speranza.aioe.org> UnixUser <unixuser(a)nospam.com> writes:
>
> >Unfortunately, I am unable to download the latest BIOS, firmware. SP,
> >and drivers from sun/oracle because I need a service contract. I
> >purchased a sunfire v20z used (end of life system) on ebay ( pretty
> >cheap), I wish to upgrade my very old bios, etc. I think it is robbery
> >for oracle/sun to charge for bios updates, especially when other PC
> >companies provide such things for free.
>
> They're made by Newisys.

BUT, just like other platforms, Sun puts their HW stamp all over
everything rendering (often times) the generic firmware upgrades
USELESS.

From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-03 22:58:06 +0100, Chris Cox said:

> On Sun, 2010-08-01 at 21:01 -0700, UnixUser wrote:
>> Unfortunately, I am unable to download the latest BIOS, firmware. SP,
>> and drivers from sun/oracle because I need a service contract. I
>> purchased a sunfire v20z used (end of life system) on ebay ( pretty
>> cheap), I wish to upgrade my very old bios, etc. I think it is robbery
>> for oracle/sun to charge for bios updates, especially when other PC
>> companies provide such things for free.
>>
>> Hopefully, someone here can help by e-mailing the latest bios, etc to me.
>

> I sort of hope somebody does send it to you... however, it would be
> illegal to do so.
>
> I think Sunoracle has been a fiasco so far. Difficult to tell if it's
> too late for Oracle to turn things around or not... but I'd certainly
> support allowing the firmware downloads... and many other downloads as
> well (it just makes sense).
>
> I feel sorry for the engineers at Sun. They (used to) tout their
> openness and their contributions to free software, yet, now that Oracle
> is in control, none of that is allowed or encouraged anymore.

<http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/linux-tech-leadership-contributions.html>
suggests that Oracle think highly of their ability to contribute to
Linux open source projects.

It is confusing that they say less about their own in-house open source
projects. Their changes to the different OpenSolaris consolidations
happen pretty much every day, judging from the Mercurial commit logs.

> And remember, also from openoffice.org:
>
> The OpenOffice.org project is primarily sponsored by Oracle, which is
> the primary contributor of code to the Project.
>
> What this means is that OpenOffice.org needs a NEW sponsor and possibly
> more contributors, though I imagine many might be former Oracle
> employees.

So no-one's commenting on Illumos's work fixing ON?

--
Chris

From: Bruce Esquibel on
Chris Cox <chrisncoxn(a)endlessnow.com> wrote:

>>From openoffice.org, you can read:

> Can Sun ever take away the code?

Maybe not but it's not going to stop them from acting like dickheads.

Surprised this wasn't mentioned already...

<http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Report-Oracle-shuts-down-PostgreSQL-test-servers-1047676.html>

This whole thing with Sun and Solaris is going to turn into another SCO and
Unixware fiasco. This whole "pay or no play" with the service contracts is
just the first steps of stupidity from Oracle.

I'll bet anything the Solaris path down the road will include making it a
"base install" with things like nfs, zfs and other "built-in" parts being
optional charge extra features or modules.

You guys defending Oracle and this "just get a service contract" nonsense
for security patches and bios updates, more power to you. Just make sure you
have your tin cups and expressway exits staked out for panhandling.

Once the beancounters at some of these Solaris/Sun shops start realizing the
additonal costs, better have your penguin caps ready.

-bruce
bje(a)ripco.com

From: John D Groenveld on
In article <i3bomq$nul$1(a)remote5bge0.ripco.com>,
Bruce Esquibel <bje(a)ripco.com> wrote:
>Surprised this wasn't mentioned already...
>
><http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Report-Oracle-shuts-down-PostgreSQL-test-servers-1047676.html>

Brett Winterford's article on Larry Ellison and company's
end of support for Postgres is better:
<URL:http://www.itnews.com.au/News/221051,oracle-shuts-down-open-source-test-servers.aspx>

Are folks still able to buy Postgres support from Oracle?

>This whole thing with Sun and Solaris is going to turn into another SCO and
>Unixware fiasco. This whole "pay or no play" with the service contracts is
>just the first steps of stupidity from Oracle.

Larry Ellison bought a lot of great IP at a firesale price.

Scott McNealy and Jonathan Schwartz said they would only
use their IP landsharks for good, not evil.
But what's Larry Ellison saying?

And what if anything did his landsharks promise the US and EU
taxmen?

>I'll bet anything the Solaris path down the road will include making it a
>"base install" with things like nfs, zfs and other "built-in" parts being
>optional charge extra features or modules.

That would fit with how Judith Sim and company's marketing
wonks price their other products.

>You guys defending Oracle and this "just get a service contract" nonsense
>for security patches and bios updates, more power to you. Just make sure you
>have your tin cups and expressway exits staked out for panhandling.

Solaris patches and system firmware updates required a service
contract or support subscription prior to the acquisition.

>Once the beancounters at some of these Solaris/Sun shops start realizing the
>additonal costs, better have your penguin caps ready.

It certainly appears that Larry Ellison and company has found
Ed Zander's business plan in an old file cabinet: shrink Solaris
systems from a volume to a niche solution for all but the
premier customers that Keith Block and company's salescritters
can land. Once they land'em soakem like an IBM salescritter.

That niche doesn't offer a lot of opportunities for
independent developers or administrators.

John
groenveld(a)acm.org
From: Chris Cox on
On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 07:33 +0100, Chris Ridd wrote:

> <http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/linux-tech-leadership-contributions.html>
> suggests that Oracle think highly of their ability to contribute to
> Linux open source projects.

Whaddya know!! Oracle says that Oracle is doing great with regards to
their treatment of the free and open source community!

:-)

> It is confusing that they say less about their own in-house open source
> projects. Their changes to the different OpenSolaris consolidations
> happen pretty much every day, judging from the Mercurial commit logs.
>
> > And remember, also from openoffice.org:
> >
> > The OpenOffice.org project is primarily sponsored by Oracle, which is
> > the primary contributor of code to the Project.
> >
> > What this means is that OpenOffice.org needs a NEW sponsor and possibly
> > more contributors, though I imagine many might be former Oracle
> > employees.
>
> So no-one's commenting on Illumos's work fixing ON?

Only to say .... EXACTLY... this is JUST another example where the
community has been forced to slam the door on Sunoracle and go it alone.
With that said, I FULLY believe in Illumos's ability to drink Oracle
kool-aid and bow at their feet. Personally, I do not trust either
one... but at least in spirit, Illumos makes sense... they just lack
independent thought away from Sun (now Sunoracle).

The following projects are at GREAT risk (and I cannot overemphasize
RISK):

1. OpenOffice
2. OpenSolaris
3. MySQL
4. Btrfs
5. OCFS2
6. VirtualBox
7. ZFS
8. PostgreSQL
(there's probably more)

Larry's GOT to be loving this. He likes people that fear him.

People were concerned about things like MySQL... people have been
mislead... it's MUCH worse than their deepest fears.

Oracle as a company needs to follow SCO.... time to move on....