From: John Doe on
RayLopez99 <raylopez88(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I decided to go buy the lowest end Dell Precision T1500

Yup yup. Something like that, apparently expandable, is probably a
good recommendation for someone who wants to start building a
personal computer. There is a bad comment about the power supply,
but probably makes no difference for adding an SSD drive.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/desktops/precision-t1500/pd.aspx?refid=precision-t1500&cs=04&s=bsd

Good luck and have fun.
From: RayLopez99 on
On Aug 14, 12:26 am, Paul <nos...(a)needed.com> wrote:
> Have you done any analysis of the effects of the "profile" being used
> with your ADSL modem ? The "profile" is a cap inserted at the ISP end,
> reducing the data rate to a level where there are no CRC errors.
>
> Tools like DMT, on select modems, can tell you the error margin
> or signal to noise ratio. That predicts how much bandwidth
> can safely be extracted from the line.
>
> The "profile" or maximum bandwidth setting, has to be such that
> there is some noise margin left, so that there won't be excessive
> errors. A slow connection *might* be caused, by a too-aggressive
> profile.
>
> DMT reads out the information inside the modem. There are multiple
> downloadable versions of DMT, each of which supports a different
> set of modems. DMT reads out the statistics (the "bins" used by ADSL),
> and displays the result.
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1300227~83b958fe55e96961420237b...
>
> If you collect a DMT result, or a number of them, and forward them
> to your ISP, they can adjust the profile to suit the situation.
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20370982-Noise-margin
>
> I'm on a 500KB/sec service, and I'm only getting 300KB/sec, and
> that is the "cap" they've set in the initial profile. I have
> to complain to the ISP, to get that raised, something I haven't
> wasted time on yet. Whether it can be raised, depends on SNR.
> My previous ISP had the line running at 500KB/sec, but the
> next one selected ~300KB/sec to start with.
>
> HTH,
>     Paul

Wow, good stuff here Paul. I've bookmarked this for future reference.

What I can say is this: here in GR they have noise of the digital
variety, meaning your signal gets dropped completely for 30 second to
180 seconds--absolutely nothing goes through SAVE *sometimes* Skype
(go figure? How is that possible? The only thing I can think of is
that Skype uses some sort of Spread Spectrum error correction
algorithm so that even the slightest connection will allow you to make
a spotty Skype call).

Then, after the digital noise abates, you get a decent download speed
of SEE BELOW* and from BroadBand DSL Reports **. Only slightly worse
than my USA connection in DC, in a house that had poor telephone
wiring. That is, not too bad for my purposes, since I don't do much
online high-def media streaming.

The generic SpeedTouch ADSL modem + router I use has a hardware
firewall, and I think when I set it up it was set to "block ads"--so
often the ads will not appear in a web page. I have a sneaky
suspicion (though I cannot prove it) that sometimes, in ad-heavy sites
like Marketwatch, if you block ads the page 'takes forever' (i.e., a
long time) to load up, since I think the behind-the-scenes code waits
until all ads are loaded, or, after a long time, will allow the page
to be loaded without the ads. Hence the long load times for
advertisement and graphics-heavy sites like Yahoo or Marketwatch. But
I don't go there often, so it's not a big deal. The big deal for me
is the white noise I describe above--very annoying. Any suggestions
welcome. These developing countries like Mexico and Greece (been to
both) seem to have this problem of white noise a lot. Ditto Thailand
when I visited. The excuse given by a support person here in Greece,
probably bogus, is that wildfires severed certain fiber optic lines,
but that's a lame excuse IMO. Another reason might be they are
ramping up their infrastructure, and have too many subscribers and not
enough hardware. 5 years ago, when they first started rolling out DSL
here in Athens on a volume basis, it was not this bad--I used to get,
with the same setup, about 50% to 100% more throughput and I don't
remember any white noise problems. A small possibility, as I note I
was the only GR user who has "home" prefix in the domain name below at
** (i.e., home.otenet.gr), is that I am saddled with some crippled
version of DSL, even though I specifically asked the salesperson to
set me up with the highest DSL (and I'm paying for the highest).
Would not surprise me, incompetent as they are here.

RL

*Speedtest.net:
Download Speed: 1240 kbps (155 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 78 kbps (9.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
6/25/2010 18:30:17

**from Broadband DSL reports that Paul recommended: I am last below at
505/66 but a few others also have these numbers
Speed
Dwn/up Claimed
ISP & Speed User
Location Test Day
Hour
(EST) Company &
Domain
3.3m/353 OTENet
anon @ ATHENS (flash speedtest) 9th 12:33 PM OTENet
otenet.gr
2.1m/519 OTENet
anon California, USA 4th 04:59 PM OTENet
home.otenet.gr
1.8m/508 OTENet
anon (flash speedtest) 26th 02:07 PM OTENet
otenet.gr
1.5m/576 OTENet
anon (flash speedtest) 8th 03:16 PM OTENet
otenet.gr
1.4m/266 OTENet
anon @ ath (flash speedtest) 31st 11:28 AM OTENet
otenet.gr
1.4m/236 OTENet
anon (flash speedtest) 30th 12:42 PM OTENet
otenet.gr
1.1m/194 OTENet
anon (flash speedtest) 16th 12:48 PM OTENet
otenet.gr
702/120 OTENet
anon @ rafina (flash speedtest) 14th 03:01 PM OTENet
otenet.gr
635/43 OTENet
anon (flash speedtest) 26th 02:41 PM OTENet
otenet.gr
505/66 OTENet
anon @ Athens California, USA 13th 06:39 PM OTENet
home.otenet.gr