From: Leythos on
In article <hlvfbk$pho$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org says...

> "Dave Baker" <Null(a)null.com> wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
> > Note to self and others. Check the firewall settings haven't been
> > tampered with BEFORE you run anti malware progs or it'll be a waste of
> > time.
>
> If your computer is compromised by malware, and your firewall settings
> look okay, what conclusions can you draw from this?

What does a firewall have to do with compromised computers?

If the firewall doesn't block ALL inbound and ALL outbound connections
then the firewall is not the cause of the problem.

Trust yourself.
From: RayLopez99 on
On Feb 22, 11:12 pm, "Dave Baker" <N...(a)null.com> wrote:

> I get the occasional thing every now and then but nothing too drastic. This
> looks like a single infection which turned off the firewall and let the rest
> in. To answer someone else's question I run XP, all the service packs and
> updates and just the XP firewall. I find constantly resident antivirus
> software too intrusive on a pc as old and slow as this one so I just fix
> whatever gets through as and when. It's rarely much of an issue to kill it
> all off either in the Recovery Console or with MBAM. Anyway it's all clean
> again since I turned the firewall back on. I was really just making the
> point to check that every time you spot a nasty before deleting it.
> --

I think you brought this problem on yourself, for the reasons you cite
above--no AV s/w.

But I'm just a rookie in this area.

RL
From: Char Jackson on
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 06:58:55 -0500, Leythos <spam999free(a)rrohio.com>
wrote:

>In article <hlvfbk$pho$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org says...
>>
>> "Dave Baker" <Null(a)null.com> wrote in message
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Note to self and others. Check the firewall settings haven't been
>> > tampered with BEFORE you run anti malware progs or it'll be a waste of
>> > time.
>>
>> If your computer is compromised by malware, and your firewall settings
>> look okay, what conclusions can you draw from this?
>
>What does a firewall have to do with compromised computers?
>
>If the firewall doesn't block ALL inbound and ALL outbound connections
>then the firewall is not the cause of the problem.

It seems like a firewall that blocks "ALL inbound and ALL outbound
connections" is functionally equivalent to a disconnected network
cable. :)

From: FromTheRafters on
"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> In article <hlvfbk$pho$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org says...
>>
>> "Dave Baker" <Null(a)null.com> wrote in message
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> > Note to self and others. Check the firewall settings haven't been
>> > tampered with BEFORE you run anti malware progs or it'll be a waste
>> > of
>> > time.
>>
>> If your computer is compromised by malware, and your firewall
>> settings
>> look okay, what conclusions can you draw from this?
>
> What does a firewall have to do with compromised computers?

....that's another way of saying it. :o)

Answer: Nothing, but malware running on the machine can make your tools
appear to lie to you. Affecting changes to a firewall by using tools in
a compromised environment may not be actual changes, only lies. I'm just
saying Dave's suggestion is only the half of it - it is futile either
way. The thing to do is to remove the active malware so that you can
trust the tools, then check your settings.

From: Leythos on
In article <hm1i7t$a95$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org says...

> "Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message
> > In article <hlvfbk$pho$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> > erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org says...
> >>
> >> "Dave Baker" <Null(a)null.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> If your computer is compromised by malware, and your firewall
> >> settings
> >> look okay, what conclusions can you draw from this?
> >
> > What does a firewall have to do with compromised computers?
>
> ...that's another way of saying it. :o)
>
> Answer: Nothing, but malware running on the machine can make your tools
> appear to lie to you. Affecting changes to a firewall by using tools in
> a compromised environment may not be actual changes, only lies. I'm just
> saying Dave's suggestion is only the half of it - it is futile either
> way. The thing to do is to remove the active malware so that you can
> trust the tools, then check your settings.

Isn't that why you don't trust a firewall on the computer you actually
use?

The general security rule is that a firewall, to be effective, is
installed on a stand-alone machine that is not used by anyone and has no
shared account authentication with your users.

While many firewall products, real that as Appliances, can filter
content (files) out of HTTP and FTP and SMTP sessions, you really have
to understand how to do that in order to protect your network and
systems.

Trust yourself.