From: Duh_OZ on
On Feb 22, 3:36 am, "Dave Baker" <N...(a)null.com> wrote:
> The intergoogles and Facetubes seem to be infested with nasties finding
> their way onto my pc at the moment. It started with the printer churning out
> blank pages all by itself which turned out to be a large spool file which
> you couldn't delete created by something icky. Shifted that in Recovery
> Console plus what appeared to be a randomly named dll file in the windows
> directory and it all went quiet for a while until everything came back. The
> spool file filled all available space on the C drive and a new one popped up
> as soon as you deleted the last one.
>
> <stuff snipped>.
> --
> Dave Baker
===================
Just wondering, what OS, firewall and AV program are you using?

From: FromTheRafters on
"Dave Baker" <Null(a)null.com> wrote in message

[...]

> Note to self and others. Check the firewall settings haven't been
> tampered with BEFORE you run anti malware progs or it'll be a waste of
> time.

If your computer is compromised by malware, and your firewall settings
look okay, what conclusions can you draw from this?

From: Mumia W. on
On 02/22/2010 03:12 PM, Dave Baker wrote:

> I get the occasional thing every now and then but nothing too drastic. This
> looks like a single infection which turned off the firewall and let the rest
> in. To answer someone else's question I run XP, all the service packs and
> updates and just the XP firewall. I find constantly resident antivirus
> software too intrusive on a pc as old and slow as this one so I just fix
> whatever gets through as and when. It's rarely much of an issue to kill it
> all off either in the Recovery Console or with MBAM. Anyway it's all clean
> again since I turned the firewall back on. I was really just making the
> point to check that every time you spot a nasty before deleting it.

In XP SP3 there is a Windows Security Center that alerts you whenever
the firewall is down. Did the malware turn off the security center alert?

From: Dave Baker on

"Mumia W." <paduille.4061.mumia.w+nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On 02/22/2010 03:12 PM, Dave Baker wrote:
>>
>> I get the occasional thing every now and then but nothing too drastic.
>> This looks like a single infection which turned off the firewall and let
>> the rest in. To answer someone else's question I run XP, all the service
>> packs and updates and just the XP firewall. I find constantly resident
>> antivirus software too intrusive on a pc as old and slow as this one so I
>> just fix whatever gets through as and when. It's rarely much of an issue
>> to kill it all off either in the Recovery Console or with MBAM. Anyway
>> it's all clean again since I turned the firewall back on. I was really
>> just making the point to check that every time you spot a nasty before
>> deleting it.
>
> In XP SP3 there is a Windows Security Center that alerts you whenever the
> firewall is down. Did the malware turn off the security center alert?

Yes it had switched that off too and I turned it back on. MBAM also picks
that up as a registry warning.
--
Dave Baker

From: Dave Baker on

"FromTheRafters" <erratic(a)nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> "Dave Baker" <Null(a)null.com> wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
>> Note to self and others. Check the firewall settings haven't been
>> tampered with BEFORE you run anti malware progs or it'll be a waste of
>> time.
>
> If your computer is compromised by malware, and your firewall settings
> look okay, what conclusions can you draw from this?

Factoring in the speed of the malware attack, the switched off firewall and
switched off firewall alert notice, the letters used in the randomly named
dll file and the number of pages of paper my printer wasted before I managed
to get rid of everything the conclusion I draw is that it will probably snow
again today.
--
Dave Baker