From: Peter Kemp on
Folks,

I'm trying to help a friend get online. The position is as follows:

a) ISP = Plusnet
b) His machine is an eMac, running 10.4.11. He's using Mail v2.1
c) He can surf the web OK. He can *receive* mail OK.
d) He can't *send* mail. If he tries to send an e-mail, it times out
and he gets an error message saying the mail server won't respond.

I've checked and re-checked his Mail settings and I'm as sure as I can
be that he's got the program configured correctly, defining the
outgoing mail server as relay.plus.net (No authentication required.)
He's been through this with Plusnet's tech helpline as well. They say
their server (relay.plus.net) is configured correctly and this setup
'should' work. They've suggested he gets in contact with Apple...

I'm stumped. I've checked that he's using the 'designated' telephone
line. And I know that he can at least contact relay.plus.net, because
Mail checks that when setting up an account. My original guess was that
Plusnet hadn't configured their server correctly to accept mail from
that account/phone line - but they swear it's setup properly...

All thoughts and contributions gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Peter
From: Andy Hewitt on
Peter Kemp <peterk13(a)nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to help a friend get online. The position is as follows:
>
> a) ISP = Plusnet
> b) His machine is an eMac, running 10.4.11. He's using Mail v2.1
> c) He can surf the web OK. He can *receive* mail OK.
> d) He can't *send* mail. If he tries to send an e-mail, it times out
> and he gets an error message saying the mail server won't respond.
>
> I've checked and re-checked his Mail settings and I'm as sure as I can
> be that he's got the program configured correctly, defining the
> outgoing mail server as relay.plus.net (No authentication required.)
> He's been through this with Plusnet's tech helpline as well. They say
> their server (relay.plus.net) is configured correctly and this setup
> 'should' work. They've suggested he gets in contact with Apple...
>
> I'm stumped. I've checked that he's using the 'designated' telephone
> line. And I know that he can at least contact relay.plus.net, because
> Mail checks that when setting up an account. My original guess was that
> Plusnet hadn't configured their server correctly to accept mail from
> that account/phone line - but they swear it's setup properly...
>
> All thoughts and contributions gratefully accepted.

He hasn't got something blocking the SMTP ports has he? Something like
Little Snitch maybe, or did it get selected in the Firewall settings?

I just checked mine here, and they seem to be what you've used, and
sending a test mail works fine.

You also don't need any authentication set either.

FWIW, I gave up using ISPs mail accounts years ago, they've all been too
unreliable IME, and use either Gmail or MobileMe.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: David Kennedy on
Peter Kemp wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to help a friend get online. The position is as follows:
>
> a) ISP = Plusnet
> b) His machine is an eMac, running 10.4.11. He's using Mail v2.1
> c) He can surf the web OK. He can *receive* mail OK.
> d) He can't *send* mail. If he tries to send an e-mail, it times out
> and he gets an error message saying the mail server won't respond.
>
> I've checked and re-checked his Mail settings and I'm as sure as I can
> be that he's got the program configured correctly, defining the
> outgoing mail server as relay.plus.net (No authentication required.)
> He's been through this with Plusnet's tech helpline as well. They say
> their server (relay.plus.net) is configured correctly and this setup
> 'should' work. They've suggested he gets in contact with Apple...
>
> I'm stumped. I've checked that he's using the 'designated' telephone
> line. And I know that he can at least contact relay.plus.net, because
> Mail checks that when setting up an account. My original guess was that
> Plusnet hadn't configured their server correctly to accept mail from
> that account/phone line - but they swear it's setup properly...
>
> All thoughts and contributions gratefully accepted.

No ideas here other than trying your post on
plusnet.service.customer-feedback might get a better response. Some of
their tech guys hang around and seem very willing to resolve any
problems - it seems to work better than the help line...

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
From: Jim on
David Kennedy <davidkennedy(a)nospamherethankyou.invalid> wrote:

> > All thoughts and contributions gratefully accepted.
>
> No ideas here other than trying your post on
> plusnet.service.customer-feedback might get a better response. Some of
> their tech guys hang around and seem very willing to resolve any
> problems - it seems to work better than the help line...

Seconded.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Woody on
Peter Kemp <peterk13(a)nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to help a friend get online. The position is as follows:
>
> a) ISP = Plusnet
> b) His machine is an eMac, running 10.4.11. He's using Mail v2.1
> c) He can surf the web OK. He can *receive* mail OK.
> d) He can't *send* mail. If he tries to send an e-mail, it times out
> and he gets an error message saying the mail server won't respond.
>
> I've checked and re-checked his Mail settings and I'm as sure as I can
> be that he's got the program configured correctly, defining the
> outgoing mail server as relay.plus.net (No authentication required.)
> He's been through this with Plusnet's tech helpline as well. They say
> their server (relay.plus.net) is configured correctly and this setup
> 'should' work. They've suggested he gets in contact with Apple...

I would say, whenever i have had this sort of problem I would connect
manually to check I could.

So open up terminal, type:

telnet relay.plus.net 25

wait for a response, see if you can follow through:

HELO <whatever your address is>

MAIL FROM whoever(a)plus.net
RCPT TO whoever(a)plus.net
DATA
Subject:test email
anybody out there?
..

and see if it goes. If it does, the problem is mail, if it messes up you
can see why, if you can't connect, well, then you can see why that is
too.

--
Woody

www.alienrat.com