From: Crispin on
Hi Folks,

I have a problem that has caused me a great deal of hair loss.
I have the following:
linksys 54g router running DDWRT, a WRN2000 running most recent
firmware, various USB wifi adapters.

In my car, I have a computer. Said computer needs to connect to my
home network which either runs from the linksys or the netgear
depending on the colour socks I am wearing.
My problem is the reliability of the connection between the two. All
other wifi devices I have are rock solid. Even on the fringe, they
slow but hold on to the connection for dear life.
The car connection however is rubbish. The car is parked out side the
house, the antenna is against the rear passenger window (forget
Faraday cage possibilities) and the total distance between the router
and USB dongle is about 3-6 foot. No matter which dongle I use or
which router, indeed, I have even changed the computer in the car 3
times, nothing can make for a reliable connection. They all claim
signal strength is excellent, connect at 54Mb/s but either very very
slow or drop the connection after 5 minutes.

Any ideas as to why / how this is happening? Anything that may help.
OS is XP with everything up to date.

TIA

Cheers,
Crispin
From: Crispin on
sorry, should have added: linksys is G, netgear is N, dongles are a
mix and match of N's and G's.
From: Frankster on
How does the car computer do when you move it inside?

-Frank

From: Crispin on
Frank,
this is there is gets annoying - perfectly. :|
When inside, it is further away from the AP than when outside. Also,
this happens when the car is both on and off so it is not a noise
thing.

I am going to try yet another dongle which has an external, high gain
antenna. Maybe it will be a bit better then.
From: David B. on
Perhaps you need to change the color of your socks?