From: Linea Recta on
I was wondering is it possible at all to control the wi-fi part of my router
from a PC which is connected to the router by wire?
Why? For example for using a program like inSSIDer.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

From: Frankster on
> I was wondering is it possible at all to control the wi-fi part of my
> router from a PC which is connected to the router by wire?

Yes. You can "control" the wireless part of your router. In that you can
configure it.

> Why? For example for using a program like inSSIDer.

From my reading on inssider, it would require a PC running inssider to have
a wireless adapter card installed to function properly.

-Frank

From: David B. on
Think about it for a minute, how are you going to scan for wi-fi networks if
the computer doesn't have wi-fi capability?

From: Linea Recta on
"David B." <mail(a)nomail.net> schreef in bericht
> Think about it for a minute,

I did, and longer than a minute...

> how are you going to scan for wi-fi networks if the computer doesn't have
> wi-fi capability?

That's why I mentioned controlling the router, which does have wi-fi
capability.

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

From: Paul on
Linea Recta wrote:
> "David B." <mail(a)nomail.net> schreef in bericht
>> Think about it for a minute,
>

> I did, and longer than a minute...
>

>> how are you going to scan for wi-fi networks if the computer doesn't
>> have wi-fi capability?
>

> That's why I mentioned controlling the router, which does have wi-fi
> capability.

Based on reading a description of what "inSSIDer" is doing, you
need a Wifi card inside the computer. The Wifi card is used to sniff
the airwaves, under control of the "inSSIDer" program.

If all of the functionality of the "inSSIDer" program, was contained
in the router itself, and the router had an HTTP web page with all
of the necessary information in it, a computer could pull that info
from the router. The router is a self-contained system, and its
processor bus is not exposed to your desktop computer. You only
get the info from the router, that the router is designed to give.

Paul