From: Edward on
Our clients are happy with our ASP.NET/SQL Server app, but one of
their divisions has a preferred technology of JAVA/Oracle and has
asked us to do a port. Anyone got any pointers about hints, tips,
tricks and gotchas? It's a Customer Query system, if that helps.

Thanks

Edward
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 20-05-2010 05:44, Edward wrote:
> Our clients are happy with our ASP.NET/SQL Server app, but one of
> their divisions has a preferred technology of JAVA/Oracle and has
> asked us to do a port. Anyone got any pointers about hints, tips,
> tricks and gotchas? It's a Customer Query system, if that helps.

SQLServer -> Oracle
ASP.NET -> JSP/Servlet/JSF
C#/VB.NET -> Java
ADO.NET -> JDBC
NHibernate/EF -> Hibernate/JPA
Spring.NET -> Spring
etc.

Most likely there will not be any fundamental problems, but
it will be a complete rewrite.

If you explain a little bit more about what the app uses,
then you may get a more precise answer.

Arne

From: Edward on
On May 21, 1:25 am, Arne Vajhøj <a...(a)vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> On 20-05-2010 05:44, Edward wrote:
>
> > Our clients are happy with our ASP.NET/SQL Server app, but one of
> > their divisions has a preferred technology of JAVA/Oracle and has
> > asked us to do a port.  Anyone got any pointers about hints, tips,
> > tricks and gotchas?  It's a Customer Query system, if that helps.
>
> SQLServer -> Oracle
> ASP.NET -> JSP/Servlet/JSF
> C#/VB.NET -> Java
> ADO.NET -> JDBC
> NHibernate/EF -> Hibernate/JPA
> Spring.NET -> Spring
> etc.
>
> Most likely there will not be any fundamental problems, but
> it will be a complete rewrite.
>
> If you explain a little bit more about what the app uses,
> then you may get a more precise answer.
>
> Arne

Thanks Arne. I'd been looking at tools to do some of the work
(Grasshopper from Mainsoft, for example). The clients are backing off
now, and are more actively considering making an exception for the
current architecture.

Edward
From: Arne Vajhøj on
On 21-05-2010 02:45, Edward wrote:
> On May 21, 1:25 am, Arne Vajh�j<a...(a)vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>> On 20-05-2010 05:44, Edward wrote:
>>> Our clients are happy with our ASP.NET/SQL Server app, but one of
>>> their divisions has a preferred technology of JAVA/Oracle and has
>>> asked us to do a port. Anyone got any pointers about hints, tips,
>>> tricks and gotchas? It's a Customer Query system, if that helps.
>>
>> SQLServer -> Oracle
>> ASP.NET -> JSP/Servlet/JSF
>> C#/VB.NET -> Java
>> ADO.NET -> JDBC
>> NHibernate/EF -> Hibernate/JPA
>> Spring.NET -> Spring
>> etc.
>>
>> Most likely there will not be any fundamental problems, but
>> it will be a complete rewrite.
>>
>> If you explain a little bit more about what the app uses,
>> then you may get a more precise answer.
>
> Thanks Arne. I'd been looking at tools to do some of the work
> (Grasshopper from Mainsoft, for example).

I have heard about the product, but never used it.

In general I don't believe in silver bullets.

> The clients are backing off
> now, and are more actively considering making an exception for the
> current architecture.

They probably realized that the port would cost a lot of money.

Arne