From: Dirk Goldgar on
"John" <newsgroups(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dirk,
> Yes, I did test your code (Access 97, unbound combo)
> With Me.cboOC1
> .SetFocus
> .Value = .ItemData(0)
> .Dropdown
> End With
> gave me "OC" (the header) for a combo value.
> ItemData(1) gave me 16955, the first real value.

Interesting. This appears to be different between Access 97 and Access
2003.

> This code:
> With Me.cboOC1
> .SetFocus
> .ListIndex = Abs(.ColumnHeads)
> .Dropdown
> End With
> gave me a R/T 7777 error "You used the ListIndex property improperly."

Another difference. Given these results, I'd suggest you use the .ItemData
property, but indexed by Abs(.ColumnHeads):

With Me.cboOC1
.SetFocus
.Value = .ItemData(Abs(.ColumnHeads))
.Dropdown
End With

But I understand that you may have decided to give up on the idea
completely.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

From: John on
Dirk,
I'll try both your suggestions in 2003, and try to get back to you on
this thread. Having some work done in the office this week, and
may have to break the PC down for a few days.

I'll also try your code with a bound combo to see if that might make a
difference.

Always thought combo headers weren't part of the dataset, so I was
surprised too.

Yes, on this issue, I'm inclined to just let it go, as far as my app is
concerned.
Thanks,
John

"Dirk Goldgar" <dg(a)NOdataSPAMgnostics.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "John" <newsgroups(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Dirk,
>> Yes, I did test your code (Access 97, unbound combo)
>> With Me.cboOC1
>> .SetFocus
>> .Value = .ItemData(0)
>> .Dropdown
>> End With
>> gave me "OC" (the header) for a combo value.
>> ItemData(1) gave me 16955, the first real value.
>
> Interesting. This appears to be different between Access 97 and Access
> 2003.
>
>> This code:
>> With Me.cboOC1
>> .SetFocus
>> .ListIndex = Abs(.ColumnHeads)
>> .Dropdown
>> End With
>> gave me a R/T 7777 error "You used the ListIndex property improperly."
>
> Another difference. Given these results, I'd suggest you use the
> .ItemData property, but indexed by Abs(.ColumnHeads):
>
> With Me.cboOC1
> .SetFocus
> .Value = .ItemData(Abs(.ColumnHeads))
> .Dropdown
> End With
>
> But I understand that you may have decided to give up on the idea
> completely.
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html