From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Actually, if you didn't know better, you would think the screen is off
> completely. However if you look very closely, there is an extremely
> faint appearance. But on a dimness scale from 0 to 100, it is pretty
> close to 1.

The inverter or its power supply have been damaged. You might be able
to get a new inverter from Dell spare parts.

(However, some Latitude E5500 systems have LED backlit displays. If
this one does, you do not have an inverter board. Maybe a step-down
power supply, but not an inverter. Check the build sheet--you can get
one from the service tag with Dell's support site.)

> I phoned Dell tech support, who thought we should purchase
> a replacement screen. The cost is $166.

That's not a bad price at all for a screen. Were it me, and that price
turned out to be correct for a complete screen assembly, I'd buy the
screen and just be done with it.

> He said that it was a type of connection cable (that didn't sound
> quite right to me, though) and it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase
> one, too (since it is only $15). I told him I'd be in touch.

The inverter is a small low to high voltage power supply used to drive
the fluorescent backlight(s) in the panel. It's nothing more than an
electronic lamp ballast with dimming control.

You may not have one if the laptop has an LED backlit display. (It's
an available extra cost option.)

> I'm now thinking that perhaps the *only* thing I need to purchase
> is the inverter!

There's a good possibility that it is all you'll need, but...

This machine took a coffee and sugar spill. That's about the worst
thing you can *do* to a laptop barring setting fire to it (or dropping
it from an appreciable height while running). It should be taken apart
and cleaned thoroughly or corrosion and subsequent failures are very
likely.

Since the machine works now, you should definitely get the service
manual, disassemble it and clean the affected boards with distilled
water, followed by high percentage (91 or better) isopropyl alcohol.
Try to keep any fans out of the water when you clean the system unit.

William
From: Ben Myers on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Actually, if you didn't know better, you would think the screen is off
>> completely. However if you look very closely, there is an extremely
>> faint appearance. But on a dimness scale from 0 to 100, it is pretty
>> close to 1.
>
> The inverter or its power supply have been damaged. You might be able
> to get a new inverter from Dell spare parts.
>
> (However, some Latitude E5500 systems have LED backlit displays. If
> this one does, you do not have an inverter board. Maybe a step-down
> power supply, but not an inverter. Check the build sheet--you can get
> one from the service tag with Dell's support site.)
>
>> I phoned Dell tech support, who thought we should purchase
>> a replacement screen. The cost is $166.
>
> That's not a bad price at all for a screen. Were it me, and that price
> turned out to be correct for a complete screen assembly, I'd buy the
> screen and just be done with it.
>
>> He said that it was a type of connection cable (that didn't sound
>> quite right to me, though) and it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase
>> one, too (since it is only $15). I told him I'd be in touch.
>
> The inverter is a small low to high voltage power supply used to drive
> the fluorescent backlight(s) in the panel. It's nothing more than an
> electronic lamp ballast with dimming control.
>
> You may not have one if the laptop has an LED backlit display. (It's
> an available extra cost option.)
>
>> I'm now thinking that perhaps the *only* thing I need to purchase
>> is the inverter!
>
> There's a good possibility that it is all you'll need, but...
>
> This machine took a coffee and sugar spill. That's about the worst
> thing you can *do* to a laptop barring setting fire to it (or dropping
> it from an appreciable height while running). It should be taken apart
> and cleaned thoroughly or corrosion and subsequent failures are very
> likely.
>
> Since the machine works now, you should definitely get the service
> manual, disassemble it and clean the affected boards with distilled
> water, followed by high percentage (91 or better) isopropyl alcohol.
> Try to keep any fans out of the water when you clean the system unit.
>
> William

When finished, do not drink the high percentage isopropyl alcohol. The
closest you can get is 151 proof rum... Ben Myers
From: Daave on
William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> Actually, if you didn't know better, you would think the screen is
>> off completely. However if you look very closely, there is an
>> extremely faint appearance. But on a dimness scale from 0 to 100, it
>> is pretty close to 1.
>
> The inverter or its power supply have been damaged. You might be able
> to get a new inverter from Dell spare parts.
>
> (However, some Latitude E5500 systems have LED backlit displays. If
> this one does, you do not have an inverter board. Maybe a step-down
> power supply, but not an inverter. Check the build sheet--you can get
> one from the service tag with Dell's support site.)
>
>> I phoned Dell tech support, who thought we should purchase
>> a replacement screen. The cost is $166.
>
> That's not a bad price at all for a screen. Were it me, and that price
> turned out to be correct for a complete screen assembly, I'd buy the
> screen and just be done with it.
>
>> He said that it was a type of connection cable (that didn't sound
>> quite right to me, though) and it wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase
>> one, too (since it is only $15). I told him I'd be in touch.
>
> The inverter is a small low to high voltage power supply used to drive
> the fluorescent backlight(s) in the panel. It's nothing more than an
> electronic lamp ballast with dimming control.
>
> You may not have one if the laptop has an LED backlit display. (It's
> an available extra cost option.)
>
>> I'm now thinking that perhaps the *only* thing I need to purchase
>> is the inverter!
>
> There's a good possibility that it is all you'll need, but...
>
> This machine took a coffee and sugar spill. That's about the worst
> thing you can *do* to a laptop barring setting fire to it (or dropping
> it from an appreciable height while running). It should be taken apart
> and cleaned thoroughly or corrosion and subsequent failures are very
> likely.
>
> Since the machine works now, you should definitely get the service
> manual, disassemble it and clean the affected boards with distilled
> water, followed by high percentage (91 or better) isopropyl alcohol.
> Try to keep any fans out of the water when you clean the system unit.

Excellent advice. Thanks.