From: "BABEDH-DHRA" on
I understand you want to use Dovecot as SASL provider. In this case the
configuration (see below) you are currently trying to use is leading you
completely the wrong way.

Take a look at the section "Configuring Dovecot SASL" in the SASL_README
(/usr/share/doc/postfix/SASL_README.gz> that is shipped with Postfix.

Here's what you basically need to do:

1. Configure Dovecot to provide an authentication socket for Postfix 2.
Configure Postfix to use that socket.

Step 2 might be a little extra complicated if you run your Postfix server
chrooted, which is the default on Debian/Ubuntu machines.

p(a)rick

Ok I have done all that was aked by the documentation but...

I noticed that I have another line for

passdb pam {

mine appears to be linked to mysql

passdb sql {

args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-crammd5.conf

my

mechanisms = plain login

also had " crammd5" at the end of it.

Would this make a difference or do I now need to try to do this through
mysql. I started to read up but stopped as I thought I would be ok this
way.

Thanks.

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* BABEDH-DHRA <babedh-dhra(a)biggdog.biz>:
> I understand you want to use Dovecot as SASL provider. In this case the
> configuration (see below) you are currently trying to use is leading you
> completely the wrong way.
>
> Take a look at the section "Configuring Dovecot SASL" in the SASL_README
> (/usr/share/doc/postfix/SASL_README.gz> that is shipped with Postfix.
>
> Here's what you basically need to do:
>
> 1. Configure Dovecot to provide an authentication socket for Postfix 2.
> Configure Postfix to use that socket.
>
> Step 2 might be a little extra complicated if you run your Postfix server
> chrooted, which is the default on Debian/Ubuntu machines.

> Ok I have done all that was aked by the documentation but...
>
> I noticed that I have another line for
>
> passdb pam {
>

> mine appears to be linked to mysql
>
> passdb sql {
>
> args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-crammd5.conf
>

> my
>
> mechanisms = plain login
>
> also had " crammd5" at the end of it.

That should not be a problem. You, better your requirements, can only tell if
you need such a configuration.

> Would this make a difference or do I now need to try to do this through
> mysql. I started to read up but stopped as I thought I would be ok this
> way.

It looks okay to me.

For further replies: Please use a mail reader that can do proper quoting in
replies i.e. a mail reader that prepends "> " or something like it to reply
content. It is very hard to read your messages. I can't tell what you wrote
und less I read all mail content.

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):

From: "BABEDH-DHRA" on
I have done the Dovecot additions "So I think" as well as the Postfix ones.
I think I am missing something since I have not added a DB for my username
and password.
Please let me know if I need to follow another document.
I do not think I need to do the Cyrus part as this is different, correct?

This is my outpu from
telnet mail.biggdog.biz
220 smtp.passthru
EHLO client.biggdog.biz
250-smtp.passthru
250-SIZE 51200000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

From: Patrick Ben Koetter on
* BABEDH-DHRA <babedh-dhra(a)biggdog.biz>:
> I have done the Dovecot additions "So I think" as well as the Postfix ones.
> I think I am missing something since I have not added a DB for my username
> and password.

If you can log into Dovecot the Dovecot config should be okay. If not, the
Dovecot mailing list is the right place to ask questions regarding such
problems.

> Please let me know if I need to follow another document.
> I do not think I need to do the Cyrus part as this is different, correct?
>

> This is my outpu from
> telnet mail.biggdog.biz
> 220 smtp.passthru
> EHLO client.biggdog.biz
> 250-smtp.passthru
> 250-SIZE 51200000
> 250-VRFY
> 250-ETRN
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 DSN

There's no "250 AUTH ..." in there, but it should. Please show "postconf -n"
output.

p(a)rick

From: "BABEDH-DHRA" on
mail:~# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
config_directory = /etc/postfix
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/html
inet_interfaces = all
local_transport = error:no local mail delivery
mailbox_size_limit = 0
message_size_limit = 51200000
mydestination =
mydomain = biggdog.biz
myhostname = mail.biggdog.biz
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
myorigin = biggdog.biz
proxy_interfaces = 68.55.47.24
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
smtpd_data_restrictions = reject_unauth_pipelining
smtpd_hard_error_limit = 10
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated,
reject_unauth_destination, reject_unlisted_recipient, check_recipient_access
hash:/etc/postfix/reject_over_quota, check_sender_access
hash:/etc/postfix/rbl_sender_exceptions, check_client_access
hash:/etc/postfix/rbl_client_exceptions, check_recipient_access
hash:/etc/postfix/rbl_recipient_exceptions, reject_rbl_client
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_sender_access
hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access, reject_non_fqdn_sender,
reject_unknown_sender_domain
smtpd_soft_error_limit = 8
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.biggdog.biz.pem
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf,
hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
virtual_gid_maps = static:6060
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/vmail/
virtual_mailbox_domains =
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_maps =
proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 6060
virtual_transport = dovecot
virtual_uid_maps = static:6060