From: Cameron Smith on
I have google apps managing mail for my domain but would like to use my
server to send newsletters and have run into an issue where I can send with
SMTP from accounts on the server using Postfix but when someone replies to
that email due to MX it routes to google and not the server.

What do I have to do to geting this working?

With Exim I believe it is with a smarthost entry. Is it done the same way
with Postfix?

Do I have to have a matching account at google apps and if so does it need
any specific settings?

Thanks!
Cameron
From: Matt Hayes on
On 6/4/2010 3:45 PM, Cameron Smith wrote:
> I have google apps managing mail for my domain but would like to use my
> server to send newsletters and have run into an issue where I can send
> with SMTP from accounts on the server using Postfix but when someone
> replies to that email due to MX it routes to google and not the server.
>
> What do I have to do to geting this working?
>
> With Exim I believe it is with a smarthost entry. Is it done the same
> way with Postfix?
>
> Do I have to have a matching account at google apps and if so does it
> need any specific settings?
>
> Thanks!
> Cameron

Personally, I'd setup your 'postfix' server to be something like
lists.mydomain.com and set a separate MX for it.

-Matt

From: Noel Jones on
On 6/4/2010 2:45 PM, Cameron Smith wrote:
> I have google apps managing mail for my domain but would like to use my
> server to send newsletters and have run into an issue where I can send
> with SMTP from accounts on the server using Postfix but when someone
> replies to that email due to MX it routes to google and not the server.

Yes, that's normal and expected.

> What do I have to do to geting this working?

It is working. Why do you want to change it?

If you want a separate mail system, you can set up a subdomain
for your maillists, eg. lists.example.com, with an MX pointing
to your postfix server.

> With Exim I believe it is with a smarthost entry. Is it done the same
> way with Postfix?

No, that's for sending mail.

> Do I have to have a matching account at google apps and if so does it
> need any specific settings?

Any mail you send out should have a valid username in google apps.

> Thanks!
> Cameron

-- Noel Jones

From: Cameron Smith on
OK this is getting off track and it's probably due to the way I started the thread so let me start over.

Currently with my postfix setup when the newsletter is sent and an account on the domain set up in google apps is on the list they do not get the email at google apps as postfix is trying to deliver that locally.

With Exim and Google Apps there is a way to allow functionality like I am asking for using the smarthosts entry in the exim config.

How can I do this with Postfix?

Thanks!
Cameron

On 6/4/2010 2:45 PM, Cameron Smith wrote:
> I have google apps managing mail for my domain but would like to use my
> server to send newsletters and have run into an issue where I can send
> with SMTP from accounts on the server using Postfix but when someone
> replies to that email due to MX it routes to google and not the server.
Yes, that's normal and expected.

> What do I have to do to geting this working?
It is working. Why do you want to change it?
If you want a separate mail system, you can set up a subdomain
for your maillists, eg. lists.example.com, with an MX pointing
to your postfix server.

> With Exim I believe it is with a smarthost entry. Is it done the same
> way with Postfix?
No, that's for sending mail.

> Do I have to have a matching account at google apps and if so does it
> need any specific settings?
Any mail you send out should have a valid username in google apps.

> Thanks!
> Cameron
-- Noel Jones
From: Noel Jones on
On 6/6/2010 4:31 PM, Cameron Smith wrote:
> OK this is getting off track and it's probably due to the way I started
> the thread so let me start over.
>

> Currently with my postfix setup when the newsletter is sent and an
> account on the domain set up in google apps is on the list they do not
> get the email at google apps as postfix is trying to deliver that locally.
>
> With Exim and Google Apps there is a way to allow functionality like I
> am asking for using the smarthosts entry in the exim config.
>
> How can I do this with Postfix?
>
> Thanks!
> Cameron

It's "off track" because you don't describe what problem
you're trying to solve. So what are you asking for?

If you want ALL mail for ALL domains delivered through google,
use the relayhost setting in postfix. This is what some other
mailers call a smarthost. Do not list your own domain
anywhere in postfix.

If you want your own domain delivered to google and other
domains delivered directly, your domain should be configured
as a relay_domain and NOT listed in mydestination.

If you need a subset of your local accounts delivered to
google apps, use a transport_maps entry to direct those
accounts to google.

-- Noel Jones