From: John Peach on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:47:08 -0400
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
>
> > Sahil Tandon wrote (on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:02:34AM -0400):

> > > You are aware that rsyslogd != sys(k)logd, right?
> >
> > In the interest of clarity, system is running Ubuntu Lucid, and
> > there is no syslogd on the system (except /etc/default/syslogd),
> > only sysklogd, which seems to be its replacement.
>
> And yet your ps(1) output indicates that only rsyslogd is running?
> I'm not an Ubuntu user, so perhaps someone else can chime with a
> hint. Since this does not appear to be a Postfix issue, you might
> also wish to pursue this on a more appropriate mailing list.

syslogd has been replaced by rsyslogd.

man rsyslogd

hint: /etc/rsyslogd.conf

--
John

From: John Peach on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 00:30:58 -0400
"N. Yaakov Ziskind" <awacs(a)ziskind.us> wrote:

> Sahil Tandon wrote (on Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:02:34AM -0400):

> > > yes, with /etc/init.d/sysklogd restart; I also HUPed the only
> > > process, 'rsyslogd -c4', to come out of 'ps ax|grep log'.

I suggest you ought to read the release notes for Lucid. System V / BSD
init scripts have been replaced by upstart. Scripts now live
in /etc/init and are controlled by initctl.

From: Sahil Tandon on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Kay wrote:

> On 28/04/10 03:34, N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
> >I'd like to stop postfix from scribbling to syslog.
> [snip]
>
> >auth,authpriv.* /var/log/auth.log
> >*.*;auth,authpriv.none;mail.none -/var/log/syslog
>
> I have this:
>
> *.*;auth,authpriv.none,cron.none,mail.none -/var/log/syslog
>
> I don't know the significance of a comma versus a semi-colon, but
> this works for me.

The difference between a comma and semi-colon is documented in the man
page. The OP's problem is that for *his* distro, rsyslogd is running
while he was editing *syslogd* configuration files.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)FreeBSD.org>