From: Tom Lake on
Until today, the power LED on my XPS 9000
was on steady when using the system but blinked
when the system went to sleep. When I got home from
work today, the fan was racing and no keys responded.
I had to power off and back on. Now the LED blinks
when I'm using the computer and is on steady when it's
sleeping. How can I get the LED back in sync?

TIA

Tom Lake
From: Tom Lake on

"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
>> How can I get the LED back in sync?
>
> I'd pull the power cord for about 30 seconds to a minute. As some of
> the system board logic is kept alive any time the power supply is
> connected, this logic could be confused and in need of a reset.
>
> William

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. When I reapplied power, the
light was on steady white. Great! I turned off the system and turned
it back on again. Steady white. Great! I put the computer into sleep
mode.
Blinking white. Great! I brought the computer out of sleep mode.
Still blinking white. Not great! It went back to blinking when awake and
solid when asleep. I ended up turning off sleep mode and resetting as you
suggested. The light is now steady white. I'd still like to know exactly
what's going on. but since sleep mode sometimes won't let the computer
wake up anyway (maybe when it hibernates?) I won't miss it.

Tom Lake

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. When I reapplied power, the
> light was on steady white. Great! I turned off the system and turned
> it back on again. Steady white. Great! I put the computer into sleep
> mode.
> Blinking white. Great! I brought the computer out of sleep mode.
> Still blinking white. Not great!

Sounds to me like the LPCIO is confused. It's responsible for the power
control and LED functionality amongst quite a few other things (such as the
real time clock and nearly all low speed I/O). The BIOS may not be setting
the LED state appropriately, or the LPCIO might be slightly broken.

If you're really desperate, you can always try disconnecting power and
pulling the clock battery for a few hours. If something is really mixed up,
that ought to fix it. Beyond that...? Maybe keep watching for a new BIOS
from Dell?

One would think after all of these years, Microsoft would have sleep and
wake functionality working in Windows. Most of my systems (this LatD800
included) work fine in standby/resume transitions, and I never use standby
on the desktops anyway (outside of some very specific times).

William