From: Bruce Varney on
At present I have a Dim' 8200 which I am considering upgrading so I can run
Windows 7 with 4 GB ram.
The motherboard has at present a 2 GB processor and 1.5GB Rambus ram fitted.
I wish to get away from Rambus and go for DDR memory instead.

Would it be possible to fit a better Dell motherboard in this case and would
I need to change the mounting tray? Any suggestions on a suitable
motherboard please. I will probably buy from Ebay unless price is right
from elsewhere.

I am based in Northants UK.
Thank you

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> At present I have a Dim' 8200  which I am considering upgrading so I
> can run Windows 7 with 4 GB ram.

It's quite possible that this system will run Windows 7 reasonably
well for most things. If you intended to keep it running with the
stock hardware, a video card upgrade would be a good way to squeeze
some more performance out of the system. It uses AGP video cards.

> Would it be possible to fit a better Dell motherboard in this case and
> would I need to change the mounting tray?

The motherboard from a Dimension 8300 or 8400 would likely work. If it
was me, I'd go with the 8400 motherboard, since it has a newer chipset
(Intel 925) and takes DDR2 memory modules. If you can get the tray
with the new board, I would. If I remember correctly, the Dim8200
board is somewhat differently shaped than the ones found in the 8300
and 8400.

But...why not keep the 8200 as it is or even sell it? You should be
able to pick up a Dell Dimension 4700, 8300, or 8400 at a very
reasonable price. Any of these would be more than capable of running
Windows 7 very well. The 4700 and 8400 both use DDR2 memory, which is
still reasonably priced. You might also consider the OptiPlex GX620,
which comes in a variety of shapes (desktop, small form factor and
tower) and is a very good machine.

William
From: Ben Myers on
On 4/19/2010 11:36 AM, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> At present I have a Dim' 8200 which I am considering upgrading so I
>> can run Windows 7 with 4 GB ram.
>
> It's quite possible that this system will run Windows 7 reasonably
> well for most things. If you intended to keep it running with the
> stock hardware, a video card upgrade would be a good way to squeeze
> some more performance out of the system. It uses AGP video cards.
>
>> Would it be possible to fit a better Dell motherboard in this case and
>> would I need to change the mounting tray?
>
> The motherboard from a Dimension 8300 or 8400 would likely work. If it
> was me, I'd go with the 8400 motherboard, since it has a newer chipset
> (Intel 925) and takes DDR2 memory modules. If you can get the tray
> with the new board, I would. If I remember correctly, the Dim8200
> board is somewhat differently shaped than the ones found in the 8300
> and 8400.
>
> But...why not keep the 8200 as it is or even sell it? You should be
> able to pick up a Dell Dimension 4700, 8300, or 8400 at a very
> reasonable price. Any of these would be more than capable of running
> Windows 7 very well. The 4700 and 8400 both use DDR2 memory, which is
> still reasonably priced. You might also consider the OptiPlex GX620,
> which comes in a variety of shapes (desktop, small form factor and
> tower) and is a very good machine.
>
> William

Bruce,

The motherboard from a Dimension 8300, Precision 360, or Optiplex GX270
(tower case only) is a perfect drop-in replacement for the Dimension
8200 case. All three have Intel 865 or 875 chipsets capable of
supporting 4GB of DDR memory.

However, a motherboard from a Dimension 8400, Precision 370 or Optiplex
GX280 will not fit in the Dimension 8200 chassis without some filing,
grinding with a Dremel tool, and other hacking to make proper openings
for the cooling fan, which mounts differently than its predecessors.
I've tried. I do not recommend!

As William says, simply picking up an inexpensive used Dimension 4600,
4700, 8300, 8400, Precision 360/370, Optiplex GX270/GX280 is also an
option. You may be able to find a whole system locally or nearby for
less money that you would pay for the motherboard alone.

Lately, I've been selling off older Dell motherboards as spares, instead
of even trying to sell a whole system. Shipping costs for a whole
system have become excessive, unless the system is new or nearly new...
Ben Myers

From: Steve W. on
Ben Myers wrote:
> On 4/19/2010 11:36 AM, William R. Walsh wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>>> At present I have a Dim' 8200 which I am considering upgrading so I
>>> can run Windows 7 with 4 GB ram.
>>
>> It's quite possible that this system will run Windows 7 reasonably
>> well for most things. If you intended to keep it running with the
>> stock hardware, a video card upgrade would be a good way to squeeze
>> some more performance out of the system. It uses AGP video cards.
>>
>>> Would it be possible to fit a better Dell motherboard in this case and
>>> would I need to change the mounting tray?
>>
>> The motherboard from a Dimension 8300 or 8400 would likely work. If it
>> was me, I'd go with the 8400 motherboard, since it has a newer chipset
>> (Intel 925) and takes DDR2 memory modules. If you can get the tray
>> with the new board, I would. If I remember correctly, the Dim8200
>> board is somewhat differently shaped than the ones found in the 8300
>> and 8400.
>>
>> But...why not keep the 8200 as it is or even sell it? You should be
>> able to pick up a Dell Dimension 4700, 8300, or 8400 at a very
>> reasonable price. Any of these would be more than capable of running
>> Windows 7 very well. The 4700 and 8400 both use DDR2 memory, which is
>> still reasonably priced. You might also consider the OptiPlex GX620,
>> which comes in a variety of shapes (desktop, small form factor and
>> tower) and is a very good machine.
>>
>> William
>
> Bruce,
>
> The motherboard from a Dimension 8300, Precision 360, or Optiplex GX270
> (tower case only) is a perfect drop-in replacement for the Dimension
> 8200 case. All three have Intel 865 or 875 chipsets capable of
> supporting 4GB of DDR memory.
>
> However, a motherboard from a Dimension 8400, Precision 370 or Optiplex
> GX280 will not fit in the Dimension 8200 chassis without some filing,
> grinding with a Dremel tool, and other hacking to make proper openings
> for the cooling fan, which mounts differently than its predecessors.
> I've tried. I do not recommend!
>
> As William says, simply picking up an inexpensive used Dimension 4600,
> 4700, 8300, 8400, Precision 360/370, Optiplex GX270/GX280 is also an
> option. You may be able to find a whole system locally or nearby for
> less money that you would pay for the motherboard alone.
>
> Lately, I've been selling off older Dell motherboards as spares, instead
> of even trying to sell a whole system. Shipping costs for a whole
> system have become excessive, unless the system is new or nearly new...
> Ben Myers

Got any 8300's in stock? What do you get for a board and processor?
Might just transplant one into my 8200...

--
Steve W.
(\___/)
From: timdrouillard on
I happen to agree with the people that have already pointed out the options
for just buying a new refurbished system.

I've bought several refurbished systems from
Overstock.com
Systime.com
as well as the Dell Outlet stores for both Home users and Small Business
users.

Note: The systems I bought from Dell or Overstock.com came with Windows XP
Pro disks.
The systems I've bought from Systime did not, although it did already come
loaded with XP Pro.

As an example. right now at Overstock.com is a GX620 desktop unit for $218
with a 3.2Ghz processor and 1gig of ram.
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Dell-GX620-3.2GHz-1GB-80GB-Desktop-Computer-Tower-Refurbished/4030359/product.html

If you don't need a tower case, they also currently have a GX280 slim case
with 2.8Ghz processor and 512 meg ram for $138.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Dell-Optiplex-GX280-2.8GHz-40GB-Computer-Refurbished/4457176/product.html

Maybe sell the 8200 to help offset the cost.

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Dimension 8200 Tower case
Next: Power LED Out-of-Sync