From: Rod Speed on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote

>> What the device says it needs.

> I am unable to find relevant information from Hitachi's website.

If you can get something to tell you what drive is inside, the drive info will be in the drive datasheet.

Add a bit for the bridge, but that will usually be covered by the next rounding up on the current.

From: Arno on
"Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps)" <toylet.toylet(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> You also need to look at plug measures and polarity.
>>
>> The first place to look is incidentially the device itself,
>> as most state their voltage and cuttent ratings on the product label.

> Maybe I should just shell out some more money to buy a powered USB hub...

Probably easier and a lot less risk of getting it wring and
killing the drive...

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on

Reply from Hitachi Support:

<quote>
Thank you for contacting Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.

The power supply requirements for the portable drive are as follows:
5Volts, 1Amp or greater, and Center Positive (Tip size: 3.4mm OD x1.3mm
ID). You can by this on any local computer or electronics shop.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
</quote>

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.34
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage "Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps)" <toylet.toylet(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Reply from Hitachi Support:

> <quote>
> Thank you for contacting Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.

> The power supply requirements for the portable drive are as follows:
> 5Volts, 1Amp or greater, and Center Positive (Tip size: 3.4mm OD x1.3mm
> ID). You can by this on any local computer or electronics shop.

> Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
> </quote>

That should be enough info to get something suitable.
Arno
From: Paul on
Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) wrote:

> Reply from Hitachi Support:
>
> <quote>
> Thank you for contacting Hitachi Global Storage Technologies.
>
> The power supply requirements for the portable drive are as follows:
> 5Volts, 1Amp or greater, and Center Positive (Tip size: 3.4mm OD x1.3mm
> ID). You can by this on any local computer or electronics shop.
>
> Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
> </quote>

The barrel connectors have names. Some are "more standard" than others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptaplug#RadioShack_Adaptaplug_conversion_matrix

H 3.40 mm 1.30 mm Orange 274-1571

That part number, is just the plug.

Another example, which is used with some Radio Shack adapters.
This is an "H", with orange colored tip. You have to be *very careful*
with the polarity on these! I always check my adapter with
a multimeter, before using it, to make sure the center pin has
the correct polarity.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3870006

The plugs also come in different lengths, which is another complication.

This is the manual, for an adapter they sell, which connects to
the previous adapter (Adaptaplug). Switchable output voltage, at
up to 2 amps current. 5V is one of the switch settings. I have
another brand, with that switch feature on it.

http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2730333_PM_EN.pdf

Of course, you have better sources and choices than we do, and
can likely get the adapter with the right plug already on it.
I don't really want to have to use those style adapters,
but it's all I can get locally.

Paul