From: Phildo on

"Rupert" <foodsteaks(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>One thing about 2 ohm stereo/4 ohm bridge loads for low frequency
>reproduction, especially with cheap amps, the amps often don't put out
>the juice the specs would indicate. It's often far less. I suspect the
>amp is really not able to put out the rated power into a 2 ohm load
>when reproducing the low frequencies you want. You might find and old
>Crest or Crown amp. They weigh a ton, but they're also kings of
>driving low impedance, low frequency reproduction loads. A Crest 8001
>isn't rated with much more output than the EP2500 (1400 watts into 2
>ohms/ch), but it has handily stomped all over cheaper amps rated with
>more power per channel - especially in subwoofer applications. In
>fact, it will easily outperform these newer Crown XTi amps rated at
>double the power. Or even the newer lighter Crest amps of comparable
>power that replaced it. A older Crown MA3600VZ would also do a good
>job. These amps hold their value though, so expect to pay 2x the price
>of the Behringer amps even though they're 10+ years old now.

OK, so what amp available new would best suit my requirements? Drummer is on
IEMs but really wants to feel the kick. Could even go with 2 buttkickers,
one run off each side of the amp. Money is not really an issue although I'm
not expecting to pay �10k on an amp.

Phildo

ps Rupert - is there something wrong with your settings? Your reply never
seems to get recognised as quoted text with the > symbol in front of it. You
are the only poster this happens with so the problem must be at your end. No
biggie, just annoying.

From: Steve M on
"Phildo" wrote:
> ps Rupert - is there something wrong with your settings? Your reply never
> seems to get recognised as quoted text with the > symbol in front of it.
> You are the only poster this happens with so the problem must be at your
> end. No biggie, just annoying.

I've noticed that many of george's posts exhibit the same.

Besides the fact that too many people on this NG cannot
snip, and quote too much irrelevant text. Which I find even MORE
annoying.

As to amp rec's for a buttkicker...
QSC PLX 2ohm series get you good output at decent cost and only weigh
21 lbs. The 4ohm series weigh in at 14 lbs, I believe.
All else being equal... When it comes to power amps I look at watts per
dollar
and also watts per pound (kg). Nice to keep those racks from being
back-breakers.
--
Steve McQ

From: Rupert on
On May 26, 2:00 pm, "Phildo" <P...(a)phildo.net> wrote:

> OK, so what amp available new would best suit my requirements? Drummer is on
> IEMs but really wants to feel the kick. Could even go with 2 buttkickers,
> one run off each side of the amp. Money is not really an issue although I'm
> not expecting to pay £10k on an amp.

If you want something new and lightweight that doesn't cost a fortune,
you might look at the QSC PL3 line. The PL325 is rated at 1250 watts
into 2 ohms per channel at onset of clip. This will give you a bit of
extra headroom to allow some clipping without cooking Kicker. Since
the PL series historically performs well in low frequency
applications, I suspect it's 1200 watts is going to deliver better
punch than cheaper amps. Granted, power is power, but there can be
distinct differences in amp performance though the specs would
indicate the same power. Something about driving real world reactive
loads separates the men from the boys.

> ps Rupert - is there something wrong with your settings? Your reply never
> seems to get recognised as quoted text with the > symbol in front of it. You
> are the only poster this happens with so the problem must be at your end. No
> biggie, just annoying.

Unfortunately, I use Google Groups® to do my posting since I'm on
different computers all the time. Therefore I have no control over
what it sends out to usenet readers. FWIW, it auto-quotes fine when I
do my replies. As far as I can tell, there are no settings within the
browser for encoding.

Rupert

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2