From: Jim on
I think my PowerBook G4 may have just gone the way of the Dodo - whilst
using it the screen went black (except for a faint grey line at the
bottom of the screen about where the top of the Dock would be).

Did a force power off, then on again - zilch. Did a force power off
followed by battery removal and reinsertion - zilch. It isn't even being
seen on the network - attempts to contact it remotely are failing. It
still shows up in the main machine's Finder, but I think it's just
remembering it from earlier. Connection attempts (both file sharing and
screen sharing) fail. It -sounds- like it's starting up - it bongs and
there's disk activity but the screen never seems to do anything.

Any thoughts? There's nothing on it I need urgently, but it's been a
good machine and I'd rather not condemn it.

I think it's doing this out of spite because the iPad gets used more...

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Woody on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> I think my PowerBook G4 may have just gone the way of the Dodo -
> whilst
> using it the screen went black (except for a faint grey line at the
> bottom of the screen about where the top of the Dock would be).
>
> Did a force power off, then on again - zilch. Did a force power off
> followed by battery removal and reinsertion - zilch. It isn't even
> being
> seen on the network - attempts to contact it remotely are failing. It
> still shows up in the main machine's Finder, but I think it's just
> remembering it from earlier. Connection attempts (both file sharing
> and
> screen sharing) fail. It -sounds- like it's starting up - it bongs and
> there's disk activity but the screen never seems to do anything.

Plug in an external monitor and see what happens when it boots?

--
Woody
From: Jim on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> > screen sharing) fail. It -sounds- like it's starting up - it bongs and
> > there's disk activity but the screen never seems to do anything.
> >

> Plug in an external monitor and see what happens when it boots?

Good thought, but one software update (10.5.something) killed the
external monitor port or, at least, it never displayed anything when I
last tried.

Rather worryingly command-option-P-R isn't working - I switch on,
immediately press and hold those keys, it bongs once then...nothing.

I'll see if I can find that monitor lead but I'm not hopeful.

Jim
From: Jim on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> > Plug in an external monitor and see what happens when it boots?
>
> Good thought, but one software update (10.5.something) killed the
> external monitor port or, at least, it never displayed anything when I
> last tried.

External monitor tried - zilch. Never even wakes up.

Jim
From: Jim on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
> > > Plug in an external monitor and see what happens when it boots?
> >
> > Good thought, but one software update (10.5.something) killed the
> > external monitor port or, at least, it never displayed anything when I
> > last tried.
>
> External monitor tried - zilch. Never even wakes up.

Closing the lid also doesn't put it into wubbing LED mode either.

I'm starting to think it's a mobo failure.

[looks suspiciously at cheap eBay replacement power supply]

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
understatement since the captain of the Titanic reported some
slightly damp tablecloths." http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: Setting a double click on a mouse