From: Martin Racette on
Hi,

Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 20 pin and a 24 pin connector,
I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a 20, and
when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work

So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?
--
Thank you in Advance

Merci a l'Avance

Martin

From: Bob Day on
"Martin Racette" <rat7_2001(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message news:lXLKe.8562$yH2.427990(a)news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 20 pin and a 24 pin connector,
> I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a 20, and
> when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work
>
> So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?

Because that's what your motherboard is spec'ed for.
You could get an adapter cable. For example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812183045

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com
From: ric on

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/support/docs/T51ATX.htm
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/support/docs/T51SLI.htm

> I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a 20,
> and when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work
>
> So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?

Because it provides the correct amount of current carrying wires
for your MB?

From: kony on
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:30:56 -0400, "Martin Racette"
<rat7_2001(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 20 pin and a 24 pin connector,
>I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a 20, and
>when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work
>
>So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?

The motherboards are deliberately set up to be able to still
use 20 pin supply, since many parts combinations do not
require enough current to need the additional 4 wires.

The main issue is then how good the power supply is
(entirely separate issue than whether 20 or 24 pin) and what
the expected system load is. Various online power
calculators (Google for them) should provide an estimate of
amperage per each voltage rail.

You can also take voltage readings at the board connector
(while plugged in, running at full load) to determine if
there is a problem, as well as feeling the wires for
overheating.
From: jim dorey on
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:30:56 -0300, Martin Racette <rat7_2001(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell what is the difference between a 20 pin and a 24 pin
> connector,
> I have a motherboard that has a 24 pin and my current powersupply is a
> 20, and
> when I plug it the motherboard does boot and work
>
> So why should I get a 24 pin powersupply ?

some supplies come with a connector that just has the extras snap off, but
then you get that dangling useless 4 pin connector that wastes so much
space.