From: CBFalconer on
I have a system here whose MB is labelled INTEL N232 and E139761.

Does anyone know offhand where to find a manual for the MB? What I
particularly want to know is what memory it can handle, and whether
it can use ECC memory. After that can the bios handle drives over
8GB, or is it flashable for that. It is equipped with a 450Mhz P3,
and I don't plan to change that.

For identification purposes, the board has 4 PCI and 2 ISA slots,
plus the video. It appears to have 2 serial and one parallel
interface, together with USB and PS2 keyboard and mouse built in,
together with 2 IDE channels and floppy.

--
Some informative links:
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/
http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

From: CBFalconer on
CBFalconer wrote:

> I have a system here whose MB is labelled INTEL N232 and E139761.
>
> Does anyone know offhand where to find a manual for the MB? What I
> particularly want to know is what memory it can handle, and whether
> it can use ECC memory. After that can the bios handle drives over
> 8GB, or is it flashable for that. It is equipped with a 450Mhz P3,
> and I don't plan to change that.
>
> For identification purposes, the board has 4 PCI and 2 ISA slots,
> plus the video. It appears to have 2 serial and one parallel
> interface, together with USB and PS2 keyboard and mouse built in,
> together with 2 IDE channels and floppy.

Further info - it boots up claiming to be a SE440BX-2 board, with
bios id 4S4#B2X0.86A.0022.P15. The bios configuration allows
energizing ECC for the L2 cache, so I assume ECC is available if I
mount ECC memory.

From: kony on
On Sat, 28 May 2005 04:07:40 GMT, CBFalconer
<cbfalconer(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>CBFalconer wrote:
>>
>> I have a system here whose MB is labelled INTEL N232 and E139761.
>>
>> Does anyone know offhand where to find a manual for the MB? What I
>> particularly want to know is what memory it can handle, and whether
>> it can use ECC memory. After that can the bios handle drives over
>> 8GB, or is it flashable for that. It is equipped with a 450Mhz P3,
>> and I don't plan to change that.
>>
>> For identification purposes, the board has 4 PCI and 2 ISA slots,
>> plus the video. It appears to have 2 serial and one parallel
>> interface, together with USB and PS2 keyboard and mouse built in,
>> together with 2 IDE channels and floppy.
>
>Further info - it boots up claiming to be a SE440BX-2 board, with
>bios id 4S4#B2X0.86A.0022.P15. The bios configuration allows
>energizing ECC for the L2 cache, so I assume ECC is available if I
>mount ECC memory.

It can use ECC memory, further info here:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/sb/cs-013639.htm

It should support over 8GB HDD after the newest bios update-
with original bios I don't know. The more recent bios
would be desirable for support of more modern power
management in Win2k or XP as well.

ECC support for L2 cache is not an indicator of ECC main
memory support, and yet the board does support the ECC main
memory.

Manual and all remaining support available from Intel by
search function, ie-

Manaul & update
ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/72163201.pdf
ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/72585615.pdf

Generic search
http://search2.intel.com/corporate/default.aspx?culture=en-US&q=SE440BX-2
From: CBFalconer on
kony wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2005 04:07:40 GMT, CBFalconer
> <cbfalconer(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>CBFalconer wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a system here whose MB is labelled INTEL N232 and E139761.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know offhand where to find a manual for the MB? What I
>>> particularly want to know is what memory it can handle, and whether
>>> it can use ECC memory. After that can the bios handle drives over
>>> 8GB, or is it flashable for that. It is equipped with a 450Mhz P3,
>>> and I don't plan to change that.
>>>
>>> For identification purposes, the board has 4 PCI and 2 ISA slots,
>>> plus the video. It appears to have 2 serial and one parallel
>>> interface, together with USB and PS2 keyboard and mouse built in,
>>> together with 2 IDE channels and floppy.
>>
>> Further info - it boots up claiming to be a SE440BX-2 board, with
>> bios id 4S4#B2X0.86A.0022.P15. The bios configuration allows
>> energizing ECC for the L2 cache, so I assume ECC is available if I
>> mount ECC memory.
>
> It can use ECC memory, further info here:
> http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/sb/cs-013639.htm
>
> It should support over 8GB HDD after the newest bios update-
> with original bios I don't know. The more recent bios
> would be desirable for support of more modern power
> management in Win2k or XP as well.
>
> ECC support for L2 cache is not an indicator of ECC main
> memory support, and yet the board does support the ECC main
> memory.
>
> Manual and all remaining support available from Intel by
> search function, ie-
>
> Manaul & update
> ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/72163201.pdf
> ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/72585615.pdf
>
> Generic search
> http://search2.intel.com/corporate/default.aspx?culture=en-US&q=SE440BX-2

Thanks, got those manuals. Looks like a useful buy for $69 (plus
shipping). It comes with a DVD (which appears to be faulty),
floppy, separate video, not characterized yet, 10/100, sound card,
and 6 GB disk and 128 MB non-ECC. The presence of 2 ISA is very
useful to me, and 450 Mhz will do. The big question now is whether
the bios will handle larger disks. All the manual appears to say
is LBA. I want to dual boot it with Linux/W98.

From: kony on
On Sun, 29 May 2005 04:15:23 GMT, CBFalconer
<cbfalconer(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks, got those manuals. Looks like a useful buy for $69 (plus
>shipping). It comes with a DVD (which appears to be faulty),
>floppy, separate video, not characterized yet, 10/100, sound card,
>and 6 GB disk and 128 MB non-ECC. The presence of 2 ISA is very
>useful to me, and 450 Mhz will do. The big question now is whether
>the bios will handle larger disks. All the manual appears to say
>is LBA. I want to dual boot it with Linux/W98.

Check the bios notes- I'd expect there's a bios that handles
up to at least 128GB HDDs, but I don't know it for certain.
I am pretty confident there's one for over 8GB though, it
may've supported that even with first bios released.

You might consider downloading and archiving all the
available bios, as I vaguely recall that board was able to
run Coppermine Celeron or P3 (socket 370 type) with an
appropriate slotket adapter. It "might" be able to run a
slot 1 Coppermine P3 too. For that matter, with appropriate
adapter (self-modified or a Powerleap) it might even run a
Tualatin Celeron up to 1.4GHz.

It's a pretty good choice for a board with lSA and a longer
expected lifespan... there were a lot of far poorer boards
during that era even from otherwise good manufacturers like
Abit. Intel during that era had more of a lead on other
manufacturers than they do now.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: beep code error