From: maps on

Ever since buying the 670 workstation, I've been hunting down cabinet
rattles. For a while I was shoving plastic shims in the case covers but
that wasn't solving the problem. It was a kludge. Instead got some 1/8"
x 3/8" wide adhesive-backed from rubber tape from Ace Hardware. Have
been cutting and sticking pieces of foam under the covers and seams for
months, but I swear that EVERY case cover is loose-fitting and needs
some kind of rubber gasket.

The question is.. how does one remove the charcoal-colored plastic
panels from the chassis without breaking off the tabs? I have one more
panel to silence, and that is the bottom plate (or back side panel when
it's standing.) Damn!! if they're going to fit so loosely, then Dell
ought to make it easier to pop-off the covers!!

-ed
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

It sounds to me like someone already broke (or at least abused) your
system's case.

The plastic cases are both of creaky and shifty when handled, but when
sitting still (whether running or not), I haven't noticed them making
any creaking noises. Nor have I noticed any other noises besides what
computers typically make.

William
From: maps on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 06:55:11 -0800 (PST), "William R. Walsh"
<wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> brought the following to our attention:

>Hi!
>
>It sounds to me like someone already broke (or at least abused) your
>system's case.
>
>The plastic cases are both of creaky and shifty when handled, but when
>sitting still (whether running or not), I haven't noticed them making
>any creaking noises. Nor have I noticed any other noises besides what
>computers typically make.
>
>William

You could very well be right. I actually broke one of the tabs on the
rear-most cover (above the power supply - beside the backplane) trying
to detach it. That's because there were no drawings show how the covers
are held on, or come off.

Now there is even an internal rattle coming out of the TOP intake vent,
which is probably one of the CPU fan shrouds. There are only about two
more rattles to fix. Eight or ten other panels and seams are already
damped with the 1/8" think foam strips!! :))

-G