From: MJMIII on
XPS/Dimension 630i.
This came with a 600GB HDD and I added a 1.5TB HDD. The 600 came with Vista
and I created a 100GB partition on the 1.5TB for Windows 7. I now want to
place 7 on the 600GB and move Vista to the 100GB partition. I've imaged
both the 600GB and 100GB separately using Acronis. Can I use the Windows 7
image and restore it to the 600GB HDD and vise versa?

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Brian K on

"MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net> wrote in message
> XPS/Dimension 630i.
> This came with a 600GB HDD and I added a 1.5TB HDD. The 600 came with
> Vista and I created a 100GB partition on the 1.5TB for Windows 7. I now
> want to place 7 on the 600GB and move Vista to the 100GB partition. I've
> imaged both the 600GB and 100GB separately using Acronis. Can I use the
> Windows 7 image and restore it to the 600GB HDD and vise versa?

How large is the Vista partition on your 600 GB HD? Ideally it should be 100
GB or you may have trouble restoring the image to the 100 GB partition on
the larger HD.

When you installed Win7, did you have the smaller HD connected? What boot
manager are you using? The Microsoft one? If so you will have shared boot
files which could complicate matters.

From: MJMIII on
inline

--

"Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net> wrote in message
>> XPS/Dimension 630i.
>> This came with a 600GB HDD and I added a 1.5TB HDD. The 600 came with
>> Vista and I created a 100GB partition on the 1.5TB for Windows 7. I now
>> want to place 7 on the 600GB and move Vista to the 100GB partition. I've
>> imaged both the 600GB and 100GB separately using Acronis. Can I use the
>> Windows 7 image and restore it to the 600GB HDD and vise versa?
>>

> How large is the Vista partition on your 600 GB HD? Ideally it should be
> 100 GB or you may have trouble restoring the image to the 100 GB partition
> on the larger HD.

Vista occupies the complete drive.

> When you installed Win7, did you have the smaller HD connected?

Yes. The 600 came with the computer. I installed the 1.5TB a couple weeks
later.

> What boot manager are you using? The Microsoft one?

Yes.

> If so you will have shared boot files which could complicate matters.

How so?

From: Brian K on
MJMIII,

I avoid the Microsoft boot manager like the plague. See "What's Wrong with
the Microsoft Way?"...

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/principles.htm

I don't know what will happen when you swap your OSs to the alternate HDs.
If you had independent OS it would be a "10 minute job" to do this.

From: Brian K on
If you want to separate your two OS, here are the instructions.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=392&pt_sid=729796eef304ad26ee8895879c32041b