From: "G.Strait" G.Strait on
Received a message from a neighbor in regards to attempt to overclock his puter. The message is as follows. I mentioned I would pass it on to those of you who are far more experienced than I. If anyone of you could be of assistance in helping him figure out his problem it would be highly appreciated. The message is as follows.

Not sure if you can help me out here, but did something to my PC that really messed it up.
Here's what I did. I attempted to overclock the CPU (Core Dou 2). The first time I did it, it didn't reboot so I did some research online and was told to reset the CMOS. So I did, I remove the battery and waited about 15 min and it started back up and I was able to reset my BIOS to it default settings.

The 2nd time I attempted to overclock it did it again. It won't reboot at all now. The power comes on and all but nothing. I've removed the battery and let it sit for hours and still won't let me into BOIS, it's just stuck there on black screen.

From: Tom Scales on

From: G.Strait [mailto:G.Strait(a)No Spam.com]
Posted At: Sunday, January 31, 2010 10:01 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Power on but nothing.
Subject: Power on but nothing.

[...]

Yes, my advice is: "Don't try to overclock a modern computer. You
could kill it"

From: "G.Strait" G.Strait on
Thanks Tom. Appreciate your reply. My thought exactly. Just trying to help the guy out.

Cheers,
Greg

From: Christopher Muto on
of course knowing the model number would help... but in addition to
removing the cmos batter he should also try pulling the power cord from
the computer, then holding the power button for ten seconds to fully
discharge the system... and then put the cmos battery back and plug the
power cord back in... if the system still won't start have him look for
the diagnostic lights typically labeled abcd and either off or lit up
green or amber. also note what the power indicator is doing... solid
green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber...
all that said, i wonder how he attempted to overclock the system.
perhaps he just overclocked the video card and fried it and what he is
really trying to describe is that he has no video.

From: RnR on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:01:15 -0600, "G.Strait" <G.Strait(a)No Spam.com>
wrote:

>Received a message from a neighbor in regards to attempt to overclock his puter. The message is as follows. I mentioned I would pass it on to those of you who are far more experienced than I. If anyone of you could be of assistance in helping him figure out his problem it would be highly appreciated. The message is as follows.
>
>Not sure if you can help me out here, but did something to my PC that really messed it up.
>Here's what I did. I attempted to overclock the CPU (Core Dou 2). The first time I did it, it didn't reboot so I did some research online and was told to reset the CMOS. So I did, I remove the battery and waited about 15 min and it started back up and I was able to reset my BIOS to it default settings.
>
>The 2nd time I attempted to overclock it did it again. It won't reboot at all now. The power comes on and all but nothing. I've removed the battery and let it sit for hours and still won't let me into BOIS, it's just stuck there on black screen.

Is it a Dell pc ? From everything I've read over years, Dells can't
be overclocked. I agree with Tom and my best guess is the cpu is
dead now. He might try to unplug the system for 30 minutes, then
remove and reinstall the cpu and then try a reboot. Also I wonder if
the battery could be going bad?? I have read bad batteries seem to
cause weird problems.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Swapping Partitions