From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

(please fix your newsreader - it's posting in HTML format, and that's bad
form!)

Unplug the power from the system while the CMOS battery is out. Leave it
that way for several hours.

In most modern ATX systems, the battery does nothing if a power cord is
plugged in and the PSU works.

William

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Is it a Dell pc ? From everything I've read over years, Dells can't
> be overclocked.

As long as you mean "can't be overclocked" *with settings in the BIOS setup
tool* you are correct.

Utilities exist to directly program the clock generator on a motherboard,
which is usually a pretty standard part. By way of these tools, overclocks
may become possible. This won't usually help you with raising the core
voltage for certain parts if that is required to maintain stability.

> I agree with Tom and my best guess is the cpu is dead now.

I really doubt it. They're not *that* easy to kill, unless the BIOS setup
utility allowed the user to select some truly unwise voltage settings.

It may be difficult to get it running again, but I'll bet that it can be
done with some effort.

William

From: RnR on
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:15:59 -0600, "William R. Walsh"
<newsgroups1(a)idontwantjunqueemail.walshcomptech.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> Is it a Dell pc ? From everything I've read over years, Dells can't
>> be overclocked.
>
>As long as you mean "can't be overclocked" *with settings in the BIOS setup
>tool* you are correct.
>
>Utilities exist to directly program the clock generator on a motherboard,
>which is usually a pretty standard part. By way of these tools, overclocks
>may become possible. This won't usually help you with raising the core
>voltage for certain parts if that is required to maintain stability.
>
>> I agree with Tom and my best guess is the cpu is dead now.
>
>I really doubt it. They're not *that* easy to kill, unless the BIOS setup
>utility allowed the user to select some truly unwise voltage settings.
>
>It may be difficult to get it running again, but I'll bet that it can be
>done with some effort.
>
>William

To my knowledge Dell's cpu is an altered retail version and nothing I
ever read over the years said it was clockable. I won't go as far as
saying you are wrong as I don't claim to be an authority on this (I
only did it once myself on a different pc years ago) but I will say
that I've read a lot of sources over many years and not one said
otherwise.

Second, I hope you are right on "not that easy to kill". I feel for
bad for this neighbor but sometimes the hard lessons do teach us well.

As another poster said, we really need a little more info but perhaps
the little help we offer so far may help????
From: "G.Strait" G.Strait on
Sorry about that. He already had done this.

But his system is now running fine after finding his voltage was incorrect.

BTW, newsreader not broken. Just an improper setting on my part.

Thank you for your kind offerings,

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> To my knowledge Dell's cpu is an altered retail version and nothing I
> ever read over the years said it was clockable.

That's true of *any* late model Intel CPU, as used by Dell or otherwise. The
multiplier is locked, and there goes your fun. It's been that way since the
Pentium III. Dell doesn't get any special processors that you couldn't get
yourself. Only pre-release and "development" processors from Intel have
unlocked multipliers.

What you can do to get around this is to crank up the FSB speed. That
involves programming the clock generator to multiply its base clock at a
different (usually higher) rate. This tends to increase the pace of
everything in the system, from the bus, memory and the unmultiplied base
clock of the microprocessor.

If you can get enough information about the clock generator in use to
program it, it doesn't matter what options the BIOS offers (or doesn't). You
can try programming it to speed things up, thereby overclocking "on the
fly". SpeedFan supports programming some clock generators (mostly to
downclock and therefore save power when the PC is idle). Other software can
also do this.

Since not everything will run acceptably when running at an increased speed,
it is sometimes needed to crank up the voltages (for memory, as an example),
add wait states or change the clock ratio of the PCI bus to the base clock
so there is more "wait time" per cycle.

> Second, I hope you are right on "not that easy to kill". I feel for
> bad for this neighbor but sometimes the hard lessons do teach us
> well.

They're not that easy to kill in most cases. Pushing the clock rate up too
far can crash the system, but it shouldn't break anything permanently. It's
playing with the core voltages that can cause problems if the BIOS setup
utility (or other control software) will allow them to set to insane values.
That is what burns hardware when overclocking goes wrong.

Sounds like they got it working again anyway, so good for them. Hopefully
they will be a bit more conservative if they elect to continue.

William

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Swapping Partitions