From: MJMIII on

"MJMIII" <mjmiii(a)communistcast.net> wrote in message

> "Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "MJMIII" <> Are you waiting for replies from me?
>>>

>> Yes....
>>

>> You should already have a Boot Item for Vista. What is in the MBR Details
>> on
>> the right.
>
> I didn't see any information on the right side of the screen. On what
> screen should I see MBR details?
>
>> Now we are both confused. Unallocated space is not a partition. Its other
>> name is unpartitioned free space. So it can't have a drive letter. Ever.
>
> Fixed. I deleted the partition then recreated it as 450GB unallocated.
> That's how it now shows in Disk Management and Bing.
>
>> When you look in Disk Management, how is the 450 GB area described?
>> When you look in BING, how is the 450 GB area described?
>
> See above.

I'm done for the night. Early day at work tomorrow. Seeing where you're
from, you're probably already at work.
Thanks for all your help so far, and I'd send you a jar of Vegamite, but
you're probably swimming in the stuff. :-)
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Brian K on

"MJMIII" >

> I didn't see any information on the right side of the screen. On what
> screen should I see MBR details?

From the BING desktop, click (you know what I mean by click, I'm just used
to typing it) Boot Edit, select your Vista entry, click Edit. MBR details is
the right side. What are the entries for HD 0 and HD 1?

From: Brian K on

"MJMIII" >
> I'm done for the night. Early day at work tomorrow. Seeing where you're
> from, you're probably already at work.
> Thanks for all your help so far, and I'd send you a jar of Vegamite, but
> you're probably swimming in the stuff. :-)
> --

OK. It's 1300 here and raining. But hot.

I think we are doing well. Soon we'll separate the two OS. Make sure both
still boot. Then copy Win7 to the 450 GB of unallocated space and make sure
it boots. Then delete Win7 from the large HD.

I love doing this sort of stuff. I have about 15 OS on my HD 0. All via
BING.

From: MJMIII on

> "MJMIII" >
>
>> I didn't see any information on the right side of the screen. On what
>> screen should I see MBR details?
>>

> From the BING desktop, click (you know what I mean by click, I'm just used
> to typing it) Boot Edit, select your Vista entry, click Edit. MBR details
> is the right side. What are the entries for HD 0 and HD 1?

HD 0 - Dell Utility - 0
Vista - 1

HD 1 - Storage - 0
Windows 7 - 1
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Brian K on

"MJMIII" What are the entries for HD 0 and HD 1?

> HD 0 - Dell Utility - 0
> Vista - 1
>
> HD 1 - Storage - 0
> Windows 7 - 1
> --

A new day. That looks good.

Would you like to do this now? Any questions?

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=392&pt_sid=729796eef304ad26ee8895879c32041b

In the article the drive letters were C: and D: but yours will be Z: and C:
Confirm this carefully
before you proceed.

In step 12, click Boot Edit, Add, for Identity call it Windows7, HD 1, use
the drop down arrow to select your Windows 7 - 1
Put a tick in Swap (this is the first Swap, not the one in the One Time
Option section)
On the right side in the MBR Details section, select Vista - 1 and click
Hide. Click OK. OK.

I should have told you about this page on keyboard shortcuts earlier but you
have been coping well.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=379

In step 17, when doing the BCD Edit, remember Win7 is on HD 1.

OK, do both OS boot from the Boot Menu? I haven't asked you to hide Win7
from Vista yet. We'll do that later.

I feel I've left out something. Ask questions.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Prev: Precision 670 case rattles (badly)
Next: Power on but nothing.