From: MJMIII on
"Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> You are now ready to download and make a BING CD.
>
> There is a 4 week trial period.
>
> double click makedisk.exe, next
> dot in I accept the agreement, next
> no tick for Registration, Color or UDMA, next
> dot in Mouse Support Enabled, next
> dot in VESA Video, next
> dot in Normal, next
> don't choose any Default Device Options (if necessary, these can be chosen
> in BING), next
> leave Registration strings blank, next
> select your CD burner drive letter (you can use a CD-RW or a CD-R disc)
> Finish
>
> Boot from the BING CD and resize your Vista partition to 150000 MB. Vista
> should be on HD 0. Let me know if it isn't. There is a video on Resizing.
> When the CD first boots, click Cancel on the first window as you don't
> want to install yet. Then click OK on the notice.
>
> After Vista has been resized, boot from the BING CD again and install BING
> as outline in the video. This will create an 8 MB partition at the end of
> the 600 GB HD.
>
> Let me know when this has been done.

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Real life and work can interfere
with cyber-fun.

I can't get mouse support. I burned a boot disk with mouse support and one
with mouse support and usb 2 support, but still no mouse control. I can get
to the resize window, but I have no way to change the size. Keyboard arrow
keys and number keys don't work. I'm using a wireless keyboard and mouse,
if that makes a difference. In the meantime I tried disk management to
partition and resize the Vista drive, but it limited me to only a 200GB new
partition. I'd settle on that for the Vista partition, but that's too small
for Windows 7.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: MJMIII on

"MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net> wrote in message
> "Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> You are now ready to download and make a BING CD.
>>
>> There is a 4 week trial period.
>>
>> double click makedisk.exe, next
>> dot in I accept the agreement, next
>> no tick for Registration, Color or UDMA, next
>> dot in Mouse Support Enabled, next
>> dot in VESA Video, next
>> dot in Normal, next
>> don't choose any Default Device Options (if necessary, these can be
>> chosen in BING), next
>> leave Registration strings blank, next
>> select your CD burner drive letter (you can use a CD-RW or a CD-R disc)
>> Finish
>>
>> Boot from the BING CD and resize your Vista partition to 150000 MB. Vista
>> should be on HD 0. Let me know if it isn't. There is a video on Resizing.
>> When the CD first boots, click Cancel on the first window as you don't
>> want to install yet. Then click OK on the notice.
>>
>> After Vista has been resized, boot from the BING CD again and install
>> BING as outline in the video. This will create an 8 MB partition at the
>> end of the 600 GB HD.
>>
>> Let me know when this has been done.
>
> Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Real life and work can
> interfere with cyber-fun.
>
> I can't get mouse support. I burned a boot disk with mouse support and
> one with mouse support and usb 2 support, but still no mouse control. I
> can get to the resize window, but I have no way to change the size.
> Keyboard arrow keys and number keys don't work. I'm using a wireless
> keyboard and mouse, if that makes a difference. In the meantime I tried
> disk management to partition and resize the Vista drive, but it limited me
> to only a 200GB new partition. I'd settle on that for the Vista
> partition, but that's too small for Windows 7.

Got it. I haven't installed BING yet, but I have resized the partition to
150GB. I now have an unallocated 450GB partition. I do have an Acronis
image of the Windows 7 partition. Can I just boot to the Acronis disk and
restore the image on the new partition and delete the Win 7 partition on the
1.5TB drive? What next?
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: Brian K on

> Got it. I haven't installed BING yet, but I have resized the partition to
> 150GB. I now have an unallocated 450GB partition. I do have an Acronis
> image of the Windows 7 partition. Can I just boot to the Acronis disk and
> restore the image on the new partition and delete the Win 7 partition on
> the 1.5TB drive? What next?
> --

Do you now have keyboard and mouse support in BING? That is essential.
I'm not a fan of wireless mouse/ keyboards. How did you do the final resize
of Vista?

The next step is to install BING as it has to be at the end of the smaller
HD. Then I'll tell you how to copy Win7 from the big HD to the small HD
while still in BING. We won't delete Win7 on the big HD until we have
completed the whole project and everything is working. Safety!

Get back to me after BING has been installed.

When you boot into Vista, what are the drive letters of your 3 partitions?
When you boot into Win7, what are the drive letters of your 3 partitions?

Is your Win7 partition 2048 sector aligned? How was the Win7 partition
created? By Vista Disk Management?

From: MJMIII on

> "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net> wrote in message
>> Got it. I haven't installed BING yet, but I have resized the partition
>> to 150GB. I now have an unallocated 450GB partition. I do have an
>> Acronis image of the Windows 7 partition. Can I just boot to the Acronis
>> disk and restore the image on the new partition and delete the Win 7
>> partition on the 1.5TB drive? What next?
>> --
>

> Do you now have keyboard and mouse support in BING? That is essential.
> I'm not a fan of wireless mouse/ keyboards. How did you do the final
> resize of Vista?

Still no mouse support, but the "tab" key was my friend.

> The next step is to install BING as it has to be at the end of the smaller
> HD. Then I'll tell you how to copy Win7 from the big HD to the small HD
> while still in BING. We won't delete Win7 on the big HD until we have
> completed the whole project and everything is working. Safety!
>
> Get back to me after BING has been installed.
>
> When you boot into Vista, what are the drive letters of your 3 partitions?

Vista is C and I haven't allocated the 450GB partition so there's no drive
letter. Windows 7 is Z.

> When you boot into Win7, what are the drive letters of your 3 partitions?

The same.

> Is your Win7 partition 2048 sector aligned? How was the Win7 partition
> created? By Vista Disk Management?

I don't know what 2048 means and yes, Vista Disk Management.

I'll get back to you after I install BING.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.

From: MJMIII on
> "Brian K" <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "MJMIII" <balrog(a)castaway.net> wrote in message
>>> Got it. I haven't installed BING yet, but I have resized the partition
>>> to 150GB. I now have an unallocated 450GB partition. I do have an
>>> Acronis image of the Windows 7 partition. Can I just boot to the
>>> Acronis disk and restore the image on the new partition and delete the
>>> Win 7 partition on the 1.5TB drive? What next?
>>> --
>>

>> Do you now have keyboard and mouse support in BING? That is essential.
>> I'm not a fan of wireless mouse/ keyboards. How did you do the final
>> resize of Vista?
>
> Still no mouse support, but the "tab" key was my friend.
>
>> The next step is to install BING as it has to be at the end of the
>> smaller HD. Then I'll tell you how to copy Win7 from the big HD to the
>> small HD while still in BING. We won't delete Win7 on the big HD until we
>> have completed the whole project and everything is working. Safety!
>>
>> Get back to me after BING has been installed.
>>
>> When you boot into Vista, what are the drive letters of your 3
>> partitions?
>
> Vista is C and I haven't allocated the 450GB partition so there's no drive
> letter. Windows 7 is Z.
>
>> When you boot into Win7, what are the drive letters of your 3 partitions?
>
> The same.
>
>> Is your Win7 partition 2048 sector aligned? How was the Win7 partition
>> created? By Vista Disk Management?
>
> I don't know what 2048 means and yes, Vista Disk Management.
>
> I'll get back to you after I install BING.

BING is installed. I allocated the new partition and the drive letter is H
in Vista and Windows 7.
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.